• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

22 Rabbits!

Nie8rMv.jpg

they are all so sweet

please, please, please ...youtube videos ?

If someone wants 2 babies (I am asking lots of questions and will want pictures of housing etc and will be visiting the homes if possible) what is the best way of going about this? A girl and a boy is best but they would have to be kept apart until the boy can be neutered? Do I recommend they take one at a time or what is the best smoothest way of doing this to end up with a happily bonded pair in a new home? thanks!

If someone wants 2 babies (I am asking lots of questions and will want pictures of housing etc and will be visiting the homes if possible) what is the best way of going about this? A girl and a boy is best but they would have to be kept apart until the boy can be neutered? Do I recommend they take one at a time or what is the best smoothest way of doing this to end up with a happily bonded pair in a new home? thanks!

I don't really know anything of this stuff but if they are being rehomed prior to neuter then I'd rehome boy girl pairs but it make it very clear they can't be together yet. maybe you could include something on their adoption paperwork about this with info / advice re neuter / spay . Maybe also about bonding. If they are taken at the same time I guess they'd have the comfort of having a litter mate in the vicinity even though they'd have to be in separate pens / cages. maybe your application form could include a referee. When I adopted Mouse I sent photos & videos & gave permission for a reference from my vet as I was too far away for home check x

This is why rescues don't (or shouldn't) rehome unneutered rabbits. Some rescues will rehome an unsprayed doe, but rarely an unneutered male. It's so very easy for people to make a slip up and the rabbits accidentally land up together and have yet more babies. And you may feel obliged to take them on if they bring them to your door. And remember a male rabbit can be fertile for up to 6 weeks post castrate and if they don't get that advice from their vet it could still mean a mistake when put with an unspayed doe.

I believe that's a risk too far with rehoming when you are not a rescue centre.

You can't always believe people when they say they will get their rabbits vaccinated either. People have a rosy tinted view of what it's like to have cuddly little creatures. Just look at all the very young rabbits being rehomed on the free-ads, some as young as 3 months with the words 'want rid of asap' in a tiny cage big enough for a budgie. Too heartbreaking to contemplate.

I do know your heart is in the right place, and I hope you'll forgive this long ramble.
But I felt I had to say it x

Last edited:
I think MM has made some fair points & they're some of the huge pitfalls associated with rehoming.

I realise the aim is to rehome these rabbits asap but, unless you're 100% certain that prospective adopters will do what they promise in terms of neutering & vaccines, then there is a huge risk that the situation your friend found herself in could repeat itself.

If rehoming mixed sex pairs then I would suggest, at the very least, to wait until the males are old enough to be neutered (14 to 16 weeks).

There are a lot of issues here. Unfortunately, a great many people adopt bunnies for children, who always want babies because they are 'cuter' and are easier to handle. So in terms of rehoming, they would be easier to rehome now than in a few months.

Their set up looks lovely btw, so much space. You have a kind heart taking on so many and I wish you the very best of luck.

Will reply to others when I get a chance.

I am being careful with Bellatrix but just wondering if someone could explain, about how she could even get the diseases from that she is vaccinated from anyway?

I am being careful with Bellatrix but just wondering if someone could explain, about how she could even get the diseases from that she is vaccinated from anyway?

Idk exactly I'm sure someone else will probably weigh in... But just because she is vaccinated doesn't mean she can't catch them.. But if she did they would hopefully not be fatal. She's not completely immune, if my understanding is correct. I'm very weird about bringing buns home that aren't vaccinated because of this, even though all my buns are vaccinated.

Being vaccinated provides an enormous amount of protection, but when I was speaking with the manufacturer, they confirmed that their vaccine affords protection to at least 90% of rabbits. This of course is in line with any vaccine, as they cannot be guaranteed to be 100%

There are all sorts of variables which you can't measure, such as the uptake of the vaccine at the time the rabbit had it, whether it was in good health etc etc. These things all contribute to the efficacy of the vaccine.

In short - yes she is protected, but she could possibly be one of the unlucky ones that catches it, and it can be fatal in these circumstances.

I document the RHD2 cases (see link in my signature) and there have been confirmed cases of vaccinated rabbits dying of RHD2.

It's all about risk assessment.

There are a lot of vets who still don't think RHD2 is a problem.
They also think that house rabbits aren't at risk.

mine have been vaccinated for all 3 and EC, despite living indoors

but I am a paranoid about infection...I know infections can be carried by birds, wildies, brought in on shoes after a walk in the countryside etc etc

better than a vaccine...a cure if treated in time

either lapizole or panacur

I think panacur is easier to administer...trying to get around 3ml of lapizole daily into lots of rabbits over 30 days is a real pain...I know...I have done it :cry:
Oh right yea panacur. But I thought like 80% of buns have ec but symptoms don't show themselves?

But I thought like 80% of buns have ec but symptoms don't show themselves?

great western exotics in swindon did testing for me, and EC came back negative, so I don't think this is the case that most buns have it...are you thinking of pasturella which does exist in most rabbits ?

great western exotics in swindon did testing for me, and EC came back negative, so I don't think this is the case that most buns have it...are you thinking of pasturella which does exist in most rabbits ?

No pretty sure it was ec, I was looking into it ages ago, and the concensus was that like 80% have it, but most don't show symptoms, and that testing for ec takes a long time and isn't very useful (if you bring your bun in with a head tilt for example) and that's it's just best to treat if it's a possibility. Idk tho!

No pretty sure it was ec, I was looking into it ages ago, and the concensus was that like 80% have it, but most don't show symptoms, and that testing for ec takes a long time and isn't very useful (if you bring your bun in with a head tilt for example) and that's it's just best to treat if it's a possibility. Idk tho!

I found this

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

"A blood test can be performed to measure antibodies, however the helpfulness of this is limited as it only tells us that the rabbit has been exposed to E. cuniculi at some stage in its life. In a recent study, over 50% of healthy rabbits were found to have E. cuniculi antibodies"

"If the rabbit tests negative for IgG, then E. cuniculi can definitely be ruled out"

I found this

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

"A blood test can be performed to measure antibodies, however the helpfulness of this is limited as it only tells us that the rabbit has been exposed to E. cuniculi at some stage in its life. In a recent study, over 50% of healthy rabbits were found to have E. cuniculi antibodies"

"If the rabbit tests negative for IgG, then E. cuniculi can definitely be ruled out"
Ah that's interesting!

Back