• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Max has been neutered, won't eat much

Leesa

Warren Scout
Max was neutered yesterday and ate a few little bits of cauliflower leaves and a bit of carrot. This morning tried to tempt him with everything I could think of (he hadn't touched anymore of his food overnight), he ate a very small amount of purreed carrot and apple and a tiny bit of hay. Eventually got him eating some grapes when I had to leave for work. Tried the liquid feed off syringe but he kept jumping away.

Do you think I need to properly syringe feed him if his appetiate has not come back properly. He's had a bit of a lick of his mineral wheel and a bit of water. He's got to go back to the vets tomorrow, just want him to be ok in the meantime. I'm sure I heard veg baby food might be worth trying, can anyone confirm this?

If he's going back to the vet tomorrow, and still hasn't eaten, I would definitely ask for another shot of painkiller, as the one he had during op will have worn off by tonight probably. Boys usually bounce back quite quickly though, as it's not an internal operation - if he's nibbling bits then he's not empty - Dandelions have always been irresistable for my bunnies.

When you syringe feed, mush up some pellets in water from the kettle, maybe snip off the end of the syringe if it's too narrow, and then either wrap the bunny in a towel and tuck them under your arm, or kneel on the floor and back them up between your legs, wrapped in a towel again - Put the syringe in sideways, just behind the front teeth, and only squeeze a tiny bit out at a time so they don't choke. Really it's so stressful for them I'd leave it till tomorrow as he may pick up by then, especially if you can find some dandelions.

If he doesn't eat pellets, then pick out the pellets from his mix and mush them with some baby food - apple is a good one.

have u tried fresh herbs??

ive just gone and got some as i have 3 buns that have been neutered today so to tempt them to eat i always use herbs - works a treat with my lot :D

Leesa said:
Thanks, can you buy fresh herbs in asda or anyone know where?

You can buy fresh herbs in most Supermarkets!!
Basil and Parsley are popular with my buns :D

Has he pooped at all?
If not you might need to contact your Vet this evening to see if Max needs a gut motility stimulant.
The GA can cause a buns tum to slow right down.
This stops them wanting to eat, which slows things down even more :roll:
Hopefully Max will be eating well again this afternoon.

Janex

yeah any where

i went to asda this morning

although tesco are better for fresh herbs as they come in bigger bundles :D and with 13 bunnies i need bigger bundles.

i must go to camden market one day as there herbs come in huge bundles and are really cheap!!! the corriander must have been 35-40cm long, i couldnt believe it, when compared to the supermarkets you only get 15cm long pieces and at tripple the price!!!!

Back