• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any garden plants that rabbits won't eat?

Bess&George

Warren Scout
I'd really like to have some pots and planters with some pretty leafy garden plants on our roof terrace, but my two troublemakers who also use the roof terrace just eat anything and everything that has a hint of green in it.

Are there any garden plants that rabbits dislike but that wouldn't be poisonous to them if they decide to help themselves to it anyway? I am planning to have some hanging baskets and have some trough planters already, but would love to have some on the floor as well. Having some herbs or anything that they can eat on the floor level isn't an option as they wouldn't just nibble on them, everything gets eaten to the root straight away.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mine usually only nibble my camellia before getting bored with it.
You could get a potted dwarf apple tree and mesh the trunk?

I was going to start a very similar thread! Daisy eats everything in sight... :roll: but I would like some plants at ground level, in planters...

Lopsy'll eat anything leafy, frankly. I'd go with mature bushes (more expensive but harder to destroy). Lopsy does get fed up with strong twiggy herbs after a bite of two so an established rosemary and lavender would be safe from him! Not that I plan on letting him try...

Mine usually only nibble my camellia before getting bored with it.
You could get a potted dwarf apple tree and mesh the trunk?

Ooo great is it ok for them if they do have some? My quad live just near one and its just where their run needs to go.

Some great suggestions here, will definitely give camellia a try, they are pretty as well. If that fails guess I have to go with something hardier and less leafy.

I have one small rose bush in a planter with puppy panels around it to stop the rabbits from eating it, yet every time they go out each one spends at least five minutes trying to work out how to get to it. :roll:

Some great suggestions here, will definitely give camellia a try, they are pretty as well. If that fails guess I have to go with something hardier and less leafy.

I have one small rose bush in a planter with puppy panels around it to stop the rabbits from eating it, yet every time they go out each one spends at least five minutes trying to work out how to get to it. :roll:

Haha. Oh dear. Mine adore roses, petals, leaves, stalks, the lot. Hope you have some success with some of these ideas.

I know exactly what you mean! If we leave rose in sight of Lopsy he stares at it dejectedly through the bars of his run, after a good 10mins of poking his nose through and trying to find weaknesses!

Back