• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Good vibes for Lance please?

BunnyLover34

Alpha Buck
Hi,

After many, many visits to the vets, they have eventually establised that Lance has gut stasis :cry: I've been giving him all of his medication and he seems to have improved slightly since his vets appointment this morning but he is still not his usual, bouncy self. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make him more comfortable and if he could have some good vibes please?

Thanks. Any advice is really, really appreciated.

Poor boy :cry: Is he having pain relief aswell as gut motility meds ? What about fluids, is he drinking and did the Vet give him any subcutaneous fluids (fluids injected under his skin) this morning ?

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Yes, he's having Metacam, Cisapride and Zantac although he hasnt had any subcuntaneous fluid ...I think he is probably going to have to go back to the vets tomorrow so I will ask about those then. He is drinking but only when I wave a bowl of water under his nose. Do you think it's worth syringe feeding him some water just to be sure? Thanks for the vibes xx

I can only leave the medical advice to others on the forum..

But Sending Healing vibes of strength and energy to you and Lance XXXXX :love:

Yes, he's having Metacam, Cisapride and Zantac although he hasnt had any subcuntaneous fluid ...I think he is probably going to have to go back to the vets tomorrow so I will ask about those then. He is drinking but only when I wave a bowl of water under his nose. Do you think it's worth syringe feeding him some water just to be sure? Thanks for the vibes xx

Poor Lance! Sending him many get well vibes xx

I would make sure he had some water, either by persuading him to drink from the bowl or syringing him a few mls.

I hope the vet tomorrow will give him some sub cut fluids if he hasn't 100% perked up by then ..

Good luck xx

I'd try to get some fluids into him, yes. When a Rabbit is in GI stasis the contents of the GI tract quickly become dehydrated. This exacerbates the problem as the dried matter can become impacted. The aim of fluid therapy is to try to avoid this happening. Are you giving the Cisapride at least 2 hours after giving Zantac ? I believe it is important to do so.

I'd try to get some fluids into him, yes. When a Rabbit is in GI stasis the contents of the GI tract quickly become dehydrated. This exacerbates the problem as the dried matter can become impacted. The aim of fluid therapy is to try to avoid this happening. Are you giving the Cisapride at least 2 hours after giving Zantac ? I believe it is important to do so.

No I'm not giving it 2 hours later...the vets didn't make this at all clear. Will it affect his recovery or harm him?? I'm really worried now...

No I'm not giving it 2 hours later...the vets didn't make this at all clear. Will it affect his recovery or harm him?? I'm really worried now...

Please don't worry, you are absolutely fine! I have been given this combination before by my own vet and the instructions were to give them at the same time. There is (as far as my vet is aware) no known interactions between these two drugs.

I also trust my vet :)

Please don't worry, you are absolutely fine! I have been given this combination before by my own vet and the instructions were to give them at the same time. There is (as far as my vet is aware) no known interactions between these two drugs.

I also trust my vet :)

Thank you for the reassurance...i just wanted to make sure :)

My Vet told me that the absorption rate of Cisipride is effected with the simultaneous administration of Ranitidine (Zantac) aswell as other drugs such as Metoclopramide, some antibiotics and some drugs used to treat heart arrhythmias so in the latest BVA Drug Formulary it apparently states that dosing should be given at least 2 hours apart. Personally I would do this as I trust my Vet. Maybe you could ask your Vet to clarify dosing instructions ?

Hi,

After many, many visits to the vets, they have eventually establised that Lance has gut stasis :cry: I've been giving him all of his medication and he seems to have improved slightly since his vets appointment this morning but he is still not his usual, bouncy self. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make him more comfortable and if he could have some good vibes please?

Thanks. Any advice is really, really appreciated.

I agree with prior posts on the importance of fluids and have given my pets syringes of water even if they have subQ fluids since I believe the oral fluids help to rehydrate the contents of the gut.
Also, I have found that getting my pet eating again with some fresh greens (my girl loves the tops of carrots, but dandelion and other similar greens are good too) also helps stasis. In severe cases, I obtained some Oxbow Critical Care from my vets (it is a powder similar to ground up rabbit pellets with added nutrients which you mix with water) and syringe fed my pet the mash. I do this in addition to the pain meds and the GI stasis meds from the vets.

It may or may not make him more comfortable if you gently messaged his sides or belly, especially if he has gas forming. He will let you know if he is more or less comfortable when you do this. Even just having you near him giving him gentle pets can keep him trying until the medication does its job.

Stasis can have many causes-lack of exercise, overweight, dehydration, not eating enough fiber (or even enough food), bacterial imbalance, or from other medical conditions. If there is no underlying issue, he may respond quickly, or it cound take days or longer for him to make a full recovery. Call you vet back if he is not getting better.

Back