• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ulcer's on togue

lilgems91

Mama Doe
Ben finally went in for his dental today, and when I picked him up the vet said when she could look properly under anasthetic it turns out the back teeth were very long, and cutting in to his tongue.

She also said there were ulcers all down the one side of his tongue, and one forming at the back.

Does anyone have experience of these? Are they a big worry?

Glad he's sorted, such a pain you can never see properly until they are under a GA. Scarlet had ulcers at her last dental where her teeth had rubbed her cheek and needed pain relief for 4 days (which she normally wouldn't need), she was also a bit slower to eat properly than she usually would be post dental her food of choice was hay and readigrass which wasn't like her at all.

Thanks for the heads up about the pain and food, he hasnt eaten anything since we got home at half 5.

Going to try him with his pellets soaked in water at about 9 o clock, hopefully he will have them :(

Did Scarlet's ulcers go after her teeth were burred down, or do they stay?

I asked my vet if we could get rid of them, and she said that keeping his teeth low would be the best course of action.

Its just so awful, I never knew he was in so much pain, I knew I should have gone with my gut instinct, but its difficult because his snuffles has been bad recently, and the vet could see no spurs when she checked him on the two different times I took him in :(

:wave: Please stop feeling bad, you made the right judgement call and he's had his dental and will be feeling much better for it but his mouth will be sore for a few days. The vet can't see everything, and sometimes you just don't know about stuff as early as you'd like to but the important thing is it's sorted now.

Did they give you metacam to give him? He's probably had an injection of some that'll last tonight, but if they didn't give you any to give him tomorrow give them a call in the morning and ask for some. The ulcers will heal just like mouth ulcers do when we get them, they're only there because the spurs have rubbed so now the spurs are gone they'll just heal up.

Scarlet has been fine within a few days each time we've uncovered something worse than we thought. I felt bad too but we can only do our best and act on our vets advice and a good dose of our own instinct. Softened pellets sounds like a good idea.

In the long term, does he eat plenty of hay? That's the best way to keep their teeth in order. Scarlet used to eat hardly any but she's really good now and she eats more since we started also giving her readigrass.

:wave: Please stop feeling bad, you made the right judgement call and he's had his dental and will be feeling much better for it but his mouth will be sore for a few days. The vet can't see everything, and sometimes you just don't know about stuff as early as you'd like to but the important thing is it's sorted now.

Did they give you metacam to give him? He's probably had an injection of some that'll last tonight, but if they didn't give you any to give him tomorrow give them a call in the morning and ask for some. The ulcers will heal just like mouth ulcers do when we get them, they're only there because the spurs have rubbed so now the spurs are gone they'll just heal up.

Scarlet has been fine within a few days each time we've uncovered something worse than we thought. I felt bad too but we can only do our best and act on our vets advice and a good dose of our own instinct. Softened pellets sounds like a good idea.

In the long term, does he eat plenty of hay? That's the best way to keep their teeth in order. Scarlet used to eat hardly any but she's really good now and she eats more since we started also giving her readigrass.

Yes, I have Metacam to give him, once daily. The vet said to start giving him some from 9 am tomorrow if he looks like he needs it, which Im thinking he probably will. Had an awful night, he hasnt eaten much at all. Im worried he will go into statis in the night :(

I hope Ben comes through the same as your Scarlet, she sounds like one tough cookie ;)

Well, he doesnt like hay very much, but he has unlimited grass throughout the day as I go and pick bagfulls from nearby fields. He has hay throughout the night, and obviously in the winter months when grass isnt very readily available.

He does like readigrass though, but I have to be careful as it gave him bladder sludge about a year back :?

I hope Ben's had a comfortable night. :love:

As RedFraggle's already said, the ulcers will heal now that the teeth aren't rubbing against the skin but he will be sore for a few days. It's great that you've already been given metacam for him; my vet always tends to prescribe if there are any ulcers so it's likely that Ben will appreciate the pain relief this morning.

Bubbles likes grated veggies and any type of forage after a dental. She doesn't eat much hay either now (but plenty of grass) and it can take a day or two for her to return to eating the grass in any great quantity after a dental.

Thank you, his night started to improve about 3-4 am and this morning he managed to eat a handful of his ss pellets :)

He won't touch much grass or any hay though, I'm hoping this will return back to normal in the next few days. He must be in so much pain the poor little man :(

His general mood has improved though, even after me syringe feeding him critical care, followed by metacam and septrin this morning. He is back to licking me, and rubbing my finger under his chin, which he hasn't been able to do for months.

Would you guys say that if his eating isn't back to normal by Thursday then a follow up appointment at the vets is needed? He has got to go back for the vet to double check his teeth in 2 weeks time anyway, but he can definitely be taken before that if his eating hasn't returned to normal.

Thank you for all your help and advice, it's been a long night for Ben and me! :)

My bunny had also an ulcer on the tongue-I was scared also at first, then our vet told us that wounds in the mouths of bunnies heal very quickly so no worries:) And more hay for teeth prophylactics (easier said than done, tough, not every bunny chews long enough to stop having teeth spikes )

I think you should find he will get back to normal in the next couple of days. If not then back to vets.

Back