• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my Mother bunny alright.

caringck

Young Bun
Hi,
My female bunny is 6 months old and she gave this surprise litter of 7 kits, out of which 2 died and one seems a little shabby but is healthy.
Is she alright? Actually I am worried for she being this skinny. She was fat before delivering kits. Eating and pooping is proper though I don't know if the cage was cleaned or not.

The litter is 2 weeks old, they are cute, no? :)

I also noticed some black areas around her genitals, not sure if really, but will confirm tomorrow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LCTMx8Q0EY

here is the video.

Please tell me is she alright?

Last edited:
She does look skinny, particually for a lactating mother. She needs to be fed lots of good quality hay, lots of good quality pellets and you can also try giving her a little bit of calcium high veg to help her milk production, but obviously not too much or it might upset her tummy.
I would take her and the kits to the vets for a once over, to make sure nothing else is going on.

The video was too short for me to obtain much detail, but she does look to be extremely underweight and in poor condition :cry:

You need to get her to a Vet to be examined as soon as possible. We cannot tell you if she is alright or not.

I thought the female bunny had been given to the pet shop because she was pregnant , I hope she's ok and the baby's

She is at the pet shop only. I visit her daily or in 2-3 days to feed her her favorite treats.. :/ . Okay, now I will go daily and give her a lot of Hay and carrots and pellets so that she regains the weight. The pet shop guy has a lot of knowledge about rabbits and he told that for her age, the pregnancy was not right thats why she has lost a lot of weight. Now I will go daily and give her her treats. I guess Its just 10 days, then I will get her back. :)

I don't have any good vet for rabbits in India, in my area, so any other suggestion then taking her to a vet?

She is at the pet shop only. I visit her daily or in 2-3 days to feed her her favorite treats.. :/ . Okay, now I will go daily and give her a lot of Hay and carrots and pellets so that she regains the weight. The pet shop guy has a lot of knowledge about rabbits and he told that for her age, the pregnancy was not right thats why she has lost a lot of weight. Now I will go daily and give her her treats. I guess Its just 10 days, then I will get her back. :)

Why is it ten days? Mum and babies need to stay together for 8 weeks ideally.

Can you show him the article I have linked you to?

Umm. Okay.. Then I guess 25-30 days more, she will stay there..
Which article do you mean Sky.?
I will make a big video tomorrow and post it here. Will also take a lot of food for her. :)

But It doesn't answer my question of she getting skinnier.
And when should I clean the nest and everything around the babies and the mommy?

But It doesn't answer my question of she getting skinnier.
And when should I clean the nest and everything around the babies and the mommy?

It exactly answers about cleaning the nest. And, it also explains what diet she should be on. If she is not on that diet then that would be something you could do, and if she is and she is still skinny then she does need a vet, and may well need a vet even if she isn't on that diet.

Sky-O said:
~Days 0-4 - Gradually increase mummy bunnies pellet food until she is being given unlimited pellets. She will need unlimited pellets so that she can produce all the milk that she needs to feed her kittens. If mummy is also used to fresh food, she can have increased amounts of this too, if you know her tummy will tolerate it.

~Days 10-14 - Clean the nest for the first time. It’s important when the babies open their eyes, to clean the nest to minimise the risk of conjunctivitis. It’s important to save as much of the nest as possible, especially the fur, so keep anything that is not soiled. Keeping as much of the nest as possible means that both mum and babies will know where the nest is and it will retain its smell.

There is no set way to clean a nest, you just need to make it as stress free for mummy as possible. Sometimes having a spare shoe box made up into a nest can be useful to put the babies in whilst removing all the soiled nest material from the original nest. After the first time, you can clean the nest whenever you feel it needs it, always saving as much of the nest material as possible.

I have quoted this from the article.

Back