• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lost/abandoned bunny (let’s call it Norman)

BevBunny

Mama Doe
Hi all - I used to be on here all the time many years ago but I’ve not had bunnies for 12 years now since my last 2 died v suddenly a week apart from totally unrelated things. 😥

Well, I need your help & to make sure I’m doing the right thing. My neighbour found a little white lop on the side of the road (country lane), knocked at the only two nearby houses with no luck, & the microchip was registered to a lady in the area who said she rehomed it 6 months ago, & didn’t have the persons details. So, for now, it’s with me whilst we look for the owner.

I don’t know it’s it’s male or female but can’t use ‘it’ so we’re going with ‘he’ & named him Norman for now. He’s lovely, v friendly, eating, drinking & pooping well. He seems healthy, fur is in good condition but he’s quite skinny. I’m feeding him burgess excel pellets (a small handful morning & night), plenty of hay and some veggies/herbs. Have I remembered it all right & doing the right thing?

Also, 2 things I’m concerned about:
1. His bum - it’s so stained & matted, I’ve not investigated too much yet as he’s only been here 48 hours & I want him to settle in. Anything I can do now to help him? I’ve started litter training him so he won’t sit in wee anymore. Thinking perhaps a vet trip next week for a shave?
2. I think he might be deaf & partially sighted - any tips to help him?

Sorry for the long post, & thanks in advance. Here he is munching his veggies today…IMG_3580.jpeg

His bum - can you use a comb to gently get the matted bits out? Staining will unfortunately stay until he moults. Any poo that's stuck can be dealt with by a bum bath and towel dry.

As he is albino, he's likely to have some sight issues anyway - so you may see him scanning from side to side, for example. That's normal for his colouring. I would just let him settle in and see how he gets on for now.

Diet - lots and lots of hay. I would probably cut down on the pellets. Mine get a small handful a day each. Burgess can also cause sticky poo, but I wouldn't keep changing everything right now. You could weigh him weekly to make sure he's eating enough.

Did the microchip or the previous owner not give the gender? An entire male should be pretty obvious at his age. The other alternatives may need someone with some experience to determine correctly.

He's a lucky bunny.

@Shimmer thank you do much, super helpful. You’ve hit the nail on the head rather pellets, I had no idea how much to give him, & I rarely trust feeding guides on bags. I’ll keep a close eye on his weight.

I’ve noticed the scanning, & we’re just being v conscious of trying not to startle him - being heavy footed so he feels us approaching & that sort of thing. His sense of smell is phenomenal, but I guess it would be to ‘make up’ for his hearing and sight.

Alas person registered to the microchip was not forthcoming with info, & not interested. It wasn’t me who took him to the vets, else I’d have got the vet to ask the ‘previous owner’ Norman’s sex, vaccination status & any medical conditions.

Thanks again Shimmer. 😁

Vet examination and vaccination ASAP
Already seen for a quick check over when his chip was scanned.

If I’ve not found his owner in a week or so I’ll take him back for a more thorough examination & discussion then (unless he shows any signs of illness in the meantime of course). I wondered about vaccinations - he might already be up to date with his vaccinations? Is it ok to just do them again?

I can't add to the advice already given, but well done on taking such good care of him, he looks a lovely little bunny. Hope everything works out well.

aww what a gorgeous bun. I'm glad he's settled well. The owner registered to his microchip sounds a bit shady to me, I'm glad he is in safe hands now. I've a v similar looking bun, well she was in her youth 🤣 Boo is blind from cataracts now but when young she'd scan, especially when outside & bolt scarily too. She is a super chill bun though & one of the biggest bunny characters I ever met.

Microchipped rabbits usually come from either certain rescues or Pets at Home (at least, they used to chip). The chip itself will be traceable to where it was supplied / used, and may also give an indication of age. Most people just don't bother chipping rabbits, so it makes his past more interesting. I've only ever had 2 that were chipped. One was by the previous owner, and the other was found when it went into rescue and was presumed to be a P@H rabbit originally with an actual date of birth (and he wasn't a pure breed).

Microchipped rabbits usually come from either certain rescues or Pets at Home (at least, they used to chip). The chip itself will be traceable to where it was supplied / used, and may also give an indication of age. Most people just don't bother chipping rabbits, so it makes his past more interesting. I've only ever had 2 that were chipped. One was by the previous owner, and the other was found when it went into rescue and was presumed to be a P@H rabbit originally with an actual date of birth (and he wasn't a pure breed).
I did wonder if he might have come from a rescue & that’s why he’s chipped. He seems super chilled this morning (see photo) so I’m going to take him to the vets again tomorrow for a thorough check & a more full discussion. I will ask them what they can tell me from the microchip info. If it’s a boy then it’s neutered, & if it’s a girl am really hoping she’s neutered, otherwise I’ll get that done before rehoming. She’s going to cost me a fortune. 🤣

Napping Norman…..
IMG_3589.jpeg

Gosh, he does seem super chilled. :love: He looks like a sweetie. Taking him to the vets tomorrow for a more thorough check up and discussion sounds like a good idea since he's already so relaxed. I'm curious about where he came from. It doesn't seem likely his previous human had him microchipped since she didn't seem to care at all about him. I'm glad you're looking after him. I don't have any advice to add, but I was wondering if he's okay with all the greens? Was just thinking that since you don't really know anything about him, he might not be used to them.

Gosh, he does seem super chilled. :love: He looks like a sweetie. Taking him to the vets tomorrow for a more thorough check up and discussion sounds like a good idea since he's already so relaxed. I'm curious about where he came from. It doesn't seem likely his previous human had him microchipped since she didn't seem to care at all about him. I'm glad you're looking after him. I don't have any advice to add, but I was wondering if he's okay with all the greens? Was just thinking that since you don't really know anything about him, he might not be used to them.
I fed him less greens than in the photo the first day to see what the reaction was, & no sticky bum & his poos are still massive. He seems ok today too, so hopefully he’s ok with that amount, I will keep a close eye.

He constantly munches hay, and went through a mound of hay twice the size of him yesterday. I think he’s v hungry as everything he’s offered to eat is scoffed instantly, his bones stick out a lot when you stroke him. Again something to ask the vet about - my previous bunnies might have just been fat! 🤣

He is such a sweetie, and so gentle. 🥰

I fed him less greens than in the photo the first day to see what the reaction was, & no sticky bum & his poos are still massive. He seems ok today too, so hopefully he’s ok with that amount, I will keep a close eye.

He constantly munches hay, and went through a mound of hay twice the size of him yesterday. I think he’s v hungry as everything he’s offered to eat is scoffed instantly, his bones stick out a lot when you stroke him. Again something to ask the vet about - my previous bunnies might have just been fat! 🤣

He is such a sweetie, and so gentle. 🥰
Aw, he sounds wonderful . 🥰 I'm glad he's okay with his greens, and eating so much hay. He does sound very hungry! Poor skinny boy. I wonder how long he was out there. I hope he can slowly gain some weight now that he's getting good food. Good luck at the vets tomorrow!

I did wonder if he might have come from a rescue & that’s why he’s chipped. He seems super chilled this morning (see photo) so I’m going to take him to the vets again tomorrow for a thorough check & a more full discussion. I will ask them what they can tell me from the microchip info. If it’s a boy then it’s neutered, & if it’s a girl am really hoping she’s neutered, otherwise I’ll get that done before rehoming. She’s going to cost me a fortune. 🤣

Napping Norman…..
View attachment 1252
Nothing to add other than that this is adorable! I bet Norman is so grateful to have been taken in by you!

I would get him vaccinated if you are taking him to the vet anyway. You don't know what he's been in contact with and it would be awful to lose him from something preventable. Then discuss anything else eg neutering. If Norman turns out to be a girl, at least the name doesn't need to change much.

I've got a very pretty Betty bunny - who is a boy, but previous owners found bunny in a field and never got him officially checked out before he was named. I still call him Betty as 'Bertie' just isn't sticking.

Back