• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wakally Wabbit won’t sleep in her hutch!

Pauliexjr

New Kit
Ok, bit of background, we recently agreed to take on a rabbit for a friend’s daughter who was not coping. The bunny is a 6-month old lop, very healthy and active and very affectionate (loves cuddles and actively seeks strokes, although we don’t pick her up too much as I believe rabbits prefer all four paws on the ground)
She has been kept outside in a two-story hutch with a 1.5 x 2.00 mtr pen attached and has been allowed to come and go without being caged at night.
We acquired her, hutch, pen and about 2 months supply of food as well as soft fabric bedding and lots of toys. We were assured she was toilet trained and used the litter tray sited under her hay rack to do her business whilst eating.
As we live in Central Scotland we decided to put her hutch in the greenhouse (4 x 3 mar on mono blocking) rather than leaving her outside and give her free rein to fun around as she pleased.
However, since moving in she has taken to using her ‘bedroom’ as a toilet and spends her nights either on top of the hutch or huddled in one corner of the greenhouse.
We use the soft, fabric pads in her bedroom, but these obviously need washing every day as they are soaked with urine and covered in droppings.
I have had the hutch apart and washed and sanitised the floors, I have used deodoriser in all the areas she uses as a midden, but she simply goes back to using the same areas as a toilet.
As I say, she is healthy and active, but I am concerned at her behaviour as I am sure she must be feeling the cold.
Sorry for the ‘War & Peace’ Length post, but any advice, suggestions or comments most welcome.

A single rabbit kept outside needs somewhere warm and insulated. I would make sure that she has a bed area stuffed with hay, maybe with newspaper underneath it to make it easier to clean (assuming she doesn't eat paper) or use a large litter tray. She is still likely to toilet in that area and may also eat the hay, but at least she can keep herself warmer. Hay is a good insulator. It will need spot cleaning daily and a full clean out maybe weekly.

At 6 months old she is also old enough to be neutered, although you would need to bring her inside (probably in an unheated area) for a recovery period (a week or 2) afterwards. You could also then consider getting a neutered companion for her. Rabbits do much better with the company of another rabbit, particularly for keeping each other warm in winter.

Thanks for the prompt reply, should have said, she is neutered and chipped.
The hay makes sense, the hutch has a wipe-clean floor so I can probably dispense with newspaper and a companion is definitely the next step, rehoming centre here we come!.
Advice appreciated 👍

You could possibly fit a litter tray inside the bedroom which will make it much easier to clean and at the same time protecting the hutch floor. She will no doubt have grown a thick winter coat by now, just make sure there are no draughts she might be sitting in. If you put hay in another area she will probably use it as a toilet as well so I put hay in the litter trays and never have a problem but they are cleaned out daily. When you find her a friend, preferably a neutered boy, they will need to be introduced in a neutral area. More on that later.

Back