• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nutmeg, Saffron and Pepper are very poorly (Pasteurellosis)

Tracy

Warren Veteran
Any spare vibes would be very much appreciated for my three poorly bunnies. :cry:

After losing Cinnamon so suddenly last weekend, I was devastated when her three siblings also became ill on Thursday. All three were rushed to the vet. Pepper and Nutmeg had to spend 3 hours in an oxygen tent. They all had chest xrays and show the same abnormalities as those which were found in Cinnamon's lungs. On Thursday I thought I was going to lose the lot of them. :cry: Saffron's lungs look the worst on the xray, but she seems to be coping the best at the moment.

All three are now hospitalised and are being treated for pasteurella infection in their lungs. Little Nutmeg has also developed a snotty nose and weepy eyes and she's also had diarrhoea. Her runny bum has now cleared up, but she's swung to the other extreme and her guts are now very quiet. They are on Baytril and penicillin (I think it begins with D, but can't remember the name) to fight the pasteurella, vetergesic for pain relief and gut stimulants to keep everything ticking over. Saffron is eating a reasonable amount, Pepper is nibbling, but Nutmeg isn't interested in food at the moment. All are being syringe fed hourly.

We've had a preliminary report of Cinnamon's post mortem, so we now have an idea of what caused her death. When her three siblings became ill my vet chased the pathologist for any results he had so far in case it might help in treating the other three. All of Cinnamon's major organs were affected and her body had shut down, she died of acute septicaemia. :cry: She had a massive infection in her intestine, part of which had become necrotic. We may never know what caused the infection or how it came to be inside her, it depends on what the remaining tests reveal (we'll get a copy of the full report once it is complete). Cinnamon was a healthy normal bunny on Saturday. At 6pm she was eating, alert and active, but something about her behaviour wasn't quite right. I can't put my finger on it, but all I can say is she wasn't her normal bossy self. I gave her a good check over and found nothing, so decided to check her again in two hours. Two hours later, she was obviously becoming poorly, so I got her straight to my vet. Her only symptoms were a low temperature and general weakness throughout her body. A few hours later she had passed away. :cry: The only blessing is that this was quick and she didn't suffer. She died at the vets with her brother Pepper by her side, so she was not alone. She was warm and comfortable and although she was a poorly girl, my vet said she wasn't in pain.

It looks like Cinnamon was carrying pasteurella and when she became ill the bacteria managed to multiply and take a hold of her. Once active, it was then transferred to her brother and 2 sisters.

This week has been too horrendous for words. My three little ones are stable and doing OK at the moment, but we all know how quickly things can change with bunnies, so I can't stop worrying yet.

Last edited:
Oh goodness how awful :cry:

I really hope that Nutmeg, Saffron and Pepper can pull through. Sending loads of vibes for all of them xx

ETA- Could it be Pneumonic Myxomatosis ?

Last edited:
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. I hope the vet can do something for Nutmeg, Saffron and Pepper and that they are a lot better very very soon.

So sorry, it's every bunny owner's worst nightmare.

I hope the wonderful care they are receiving is enough to pull them through.

Sending all the vibes in the world.

Thanks everyone. :)

Oh goodness how awful :cry:

I really hope that Nutmeg, Saffron and Pepper can pull through. Sending loads of vibes for all of them xx

ETA- Could it be Pneumonic Myxomatosis ?

:( That's not been mentioned at all. I'll ask my vet about it. Will have a read up about it too, I've not heard of that version of myxi before. They are all vaccinated and always kept up-to-date, but I know that doesn't stop the awful disease.

I spoke to my vet about an hour ago and they are all looking a lot brighter and are more active. Saffron is trashing the cage, so she's feeling much better. Nutmeg has passed a few little poos and is starting to nibble, which is good news. All bunnies are breathing well at the moment, so it seems that the antibiotics are starting to do their job. We're definitely not out of the woods yet, but I think we're shuffling in the right direction.

Back