• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should i be concerned?

sylvie18

New Kit
I have a 2 year old girl, part lionhead called meera. Ive had her since she was 8 months. Ive noticed every 4 or 5.l months she has what i dub a 'sleepy day' she will eat half her breakfast greens and spend the rest of the day looking for pets and cuddles and just dozing around her pen. During these times she takes no interest in eating food other than the very small occasional hay nibble and half her breakfast.
She then perks back up again late in the evening. Today is the 4th time since adopting her this has happened. She is spade, She doesnt act in pain, she seems very relaxed, shes still interested in people and her pen friend (theyre about a week or so away from moving in together) ,he also didnt seem to react any differently to her today. Every trip to the vet has deemed her a perfect picture of health. I just cant find anything online with other people having similar experiences.

What is her poo output like just prior to these ‘episodes’ ?

Do the ‘episodes’ occur at the same time as her being in moult ?

She poops like normal, which is a alot, all the way up to the morning of the episodes, she still uses the litter tray occasionally during the episodes and id say shes coming to the end of her winter moult

What is her poo output like just prior to these ‘episodes’ ?

Do the ‘episodes’ occur at the same time as her being in moult ?
She poops alot up until the episodes, always has. And yes now that i think about it, it alwayss seems to be around the end of her big moults

Some Rabbits can feel a bit out of sorts when having a heavy moult. Lionheads appear to be particularly prone to this, especially double maned lionheads. If the Rabbit has ingested a lot of fur when grooming themselves this can slow the gut motility down which will make the Rabbit feel uncomfortable. Poo output will decrease, as will the appetite. If the reduction in gut motility gets worse it can lead to gut stasis. So daily grooming is necessary to try to minimise the ingestion of fur.

Back