• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit's eating habbits have changed

Colyflower

Alpha Buck
Sorry for long message I just wanted to give as much info as poss. Also I wasn't sure if this should be posted in diet but hopefully someone can give advice.

In the last month or so I've noticed that my rabbit's eating habits keep changing, she's gone off her pellet food and she's not even interested in sunflower seeds which before she would go absolutely mad for, before I couldn't get the food in the bowl quick enough but now she just sits there and shows little interest. I think she may be eating little bits of it throughout the day but she used to dive her head into them with gusto!

She also doesn't seem to be drinking as much water and I've noticed that there isn't as much pee in her litter tray either. She has lots of Timothy Hay to eat but again she doesn't seem to eat much of that either although she never did eat that much of it anyway. I gave her half of one of those hay biscuits last night and she was eating bits of that but not much.

I will also add that she is passing a bit of fur with her poos that look like little strings of beads but she is producing normal ones as well. I've tried syringing some water in her mouth but she really doesn't like me doing this and this morning I tried 1ml of lactolose which my vet advised giving but she really hated me me for that and I ended up with a sticky and very annoyed bunny.

She's a 9 month old female mini lop, she's due to be spayed in one weeks time, her recent behaviour does seem a bit hormonal, she follows us everywhere, honking lots and running round our feet, random pees all over the carpet which she doesn't normally do and a very large pee on the carpet last night, weeing all over her back end as well which is a nightmare to keep clean, it got so bad I had to give her a bottom bath. Normally she'll behave like this for a few days and then be normal but she's been like this for almost a month now so I'm wondering if the spaying will help her go back to normal but concerned that if she's not eating properly before her operation then this will be a problem.

She seems to be fine apart from that, she's hopping around and doesn't seem lethargic, and she hasn't stopped eating or drinking completely, could this be just a long hormonal phase?

Thanks for any advice

You are right to be worried, loss of appetite that is persistent is not good news and yes she does need to be eating normally before undergoing a spay. I'm very surprised your vet suggested lactulose for fur and ileus, this is generally a last resort med and can often do more harm than good. What would have been better would have been the vet advising an increase in fibre along with some gut motility meds if necessary and regular brushing if strung droppings are being passed.

Did the vet check her teeth? Sounds to me like it could be dental related and that she may be slipping into ileus (with strung droppings, reduced appetite and mild dehydration).

Is the lactolose I gave her this morning going to cause any problems? It was only 1ml this morning, I've not given her anymore than that, I'm worried now as I'm at work and I'm not able to check her.

I wasn't able to take her to the vets I spoke to them over the phone, the vet who normally deals with the rabbits has been off for a month but he's back next week, it's really annoying as I'm worried that no one else there is as qualified with rabbits, plus all appointments seem to be booked out for this week, should I insist she be seen?

Is the lactolose I gave her this morning going to cause any problems? It was only 1ml this morning, I've not given her anymore than that, I'm worried now as I'm at work and I'm not able to check her.

I wasn't able to take her to the vets I spoke to them over the phone, the vet who normally deals with the rabbits has been off for a month but he's back next week, it's really annoying as I'm worried that no one else there is as qualified with rabbits, plus all appointments seem to be booked out for this week, should I insist she be seen?

No it shouldn't cause any harm at all don't worry, just wasn't ideal solution that's all.

Yes, your rabbit needs to be seen asap - I suspect strongly she has molar spurs or other dental issues affecting her ability to eat and she could be in some pain as a result and at risk of her guts stopping altogether, especially with the extra fur she is ingesting at the moment (she is moulting yes?)
I would want her seen today personally. If the regular vets aren't any good with rabbits then if you post on here where you live someone might be able to suggest another rabbit-savy vet nearby. :):wave:

ETA I have to go to work now but do post for another vet nearby on this thread or create a separate thread (rabbit chat often gets more views). If it is dental related then it is important it is caught early to prevent deterioration of her tummy from lack of food. Good luck x

Last edited:
Phew that's ok, it wasn't a pleasant experience for her so I think she'll be glad I won't be trying that again! ;)

My vet practice is called Corner Vets in Sutton, It was recommended to me by my local Rabbit rescue centre Bobtails, in Ewell Surrey, so I'm confident that as her normal vet practice it's fine, the problem being is that the rabbit vet as been away for a whole month and isn't back till Monday and hence all appointments with him are now backed up, I can call them again and ask if they have anyone else there who is qualified while he's absent.

If anyone does know of any other rabbit savvy vets in the vicinity of Worcester Park, Ewell, Epsom or Sutton area as these are all close by to me, that would be great.

Thanks for your help, I never know whether I'm being an over anxious new bunny mum ;)

Phew that's ok, it wasn't a pleasant experience for her so I think she'll be glad I won't be trying that again! ;)

My vet practice is called Corner Vets in Sutton, It was recommended to me by my local Rabbit rescue centre Bobtails, in Ewell Surrey, so I'm confident that as her normal vet practice it's fine, the problem being is that the rabbit vet as been away for a whole month and isn't back till Monday and hence all appointments with him are now backed up, I can call them again and ask if they have anyone else there who is qualified while he's absent.

If anyone does know of any other rabbit savvy vets in the vicinity of Worcester Park, Ewell, Epsom or Sutton area as these are all close by to me, that would be great.

Thanks for your help, I never know whether I'm being an over anxious new bunny mum ;)

Still here :wave:

That is a vet practice i've recommended to people on here too! David Moore right? I know a few people at Bobtails too :)
Yes give the clinic a call - there must be other vets who can atleast look in her mouth with David there they must have SOME bunny knowledge :)

There is another 24hr emergency vet nearby too - I can't for the life of me remember the name, but a friend who volunteers at Bobtails also has a good vet she uses and a 24hr place and they don't live too far away I don't think. If you get stuck PM me and I can contact my friend for you. :wave:

Agree with Prettylupin on all counts.

Corner vets is highly recommended so someone else there must be able to look in her mouth and feel her tummy for blockages/emptiness.

Hi Prettylupin. Yes, the vet's name is David Moore, I've just spoken to them and she's booked in this Friday, apparently David is actually back so that's really good! The woman I spoke to was very helpful, she thought it may be her molars as you suggested, she's never eaten as much hay as I'd like, naughty bun buns, so this does seem to be the likely cause. If she stops eating altogether then I will obviously get her in sooner.

Thanks for all your help! I'll let you know how the appointment goes

Lactulose is actually very useful if given after sufficient fluid therapy (SQ and Oral fluids)

I've just realised that this morning I got lactulose confused with liquid paraffin :oops::oops: I'm so sorry. At work this afternoon I suddenly realised and remembered Jane had used lactulose successfully and my silly mistake - so sorry Colyflower :oops::wave:

Heavily pregnant and not thinking straight i'm so sorry....eek! :oops:

Back