• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More runny poo questions?!

gizmobunny

Young Bun
I know it seems to be common at the moment but i have a messy bummed Bunny!
I have two so cant be 100% but she has long fur which gives it away, we have not changed the diet in over a year.....
Bowl of veg in morning, Curly cale mainly and either carrot broc or something similar. then 40g of Supreme Science Selective rabbit between them(we had poo problems last year and changing fixed it.

In the morning after veg its clean but after tea of pellets a few hours later there are those (forgive me i forget the name, cecals?) stringy mini grapes lol! And where she seems to be lazy she falls asleep in it yuk!

My question can i up the veg and down the pellets, they eat ALL there hay (which is quite a lot) and wolf down anything they are fed, dont understand why it has suddenly happend!

Thanks!

Forgot to say, as horrid as this sounds, my buns have never tried grass! :s

I know its ok for them to eat, but how much is ok, i see they do little tubs of grow bunny grass, would this be ok for them to start on? Once they have it can they have as much as poss or is it limited?!
Cat grass seeds i guess are all just grass!

I would try cutting out the carrot tbh. If I give Mini carrot I get the same problem as you. Sweet veg sets it off in her, even if she eats masses of hay.

I'd also suggest reducing the amount of veg you give. Forgive me for all that don't agree, but a bowl of veg sounds an awful lot. Thumpers gets a small ring of carrot maybe once a day or once a week. And it's only ever carrot or grass that I give him as veg. I'd say veg is most likely to be the culpret.

Grass is an alternative to hay, so they can have unlimited access to it, once they're used to eating it. The usual start small and slow approach and gradually building up the amount you allow them access to.

I wouldn't be so sure about just giving them a tray of cat grass though, only cos I'm not sure what it's grown in :? I've bought them for my cats before, and I don't think it's just soil.

Xxx

I'd also suggest reducing the amount of veg you give. Forgive me for all that don't agree, but a bowl of veg sounds an awful lot. Thumpers gets a small ring of carrot maybe once a day or once a week. And it's only ever carrot or grass that I give him as veg. I'd say veg is most likely to be the culpret.

Myself I've found it's not necessarily the amount of veg but the type of veg.

Im not sure about vege, but would never give carrot every day - its too high in calcium. If they are eating ALL their hay - then they need to have some more....they should never be without fresh hay....
You could cut down their pellets abit to help them then eat more hay - so more fibre - so less runny poo! Ceacs!:D
Is the ceac all stuck together - like you say -
A) a load of little grapes stuck like a sausage?
or
B) is it runny like a cat poo? like mushy with no grape like shapes?

If its A - then cut down on pellets...poss vege - hopefully someone will mention about the vege...and make sure lots of fresh hay.

If its B - then perhaps a pellets change would hel- a higher fibre one...OR again cut back on pellets & vege....lotsa fresh hay.

It depends how long its gone on too?
If its a very recent thing - they may just need more hay - if its a longer term thing then could be too much pellets & bege & not enough hay.

Hope this helps! Goodness - my buns have issue too - but slightly different to yours...hope you sort it out!:)

I know it seems to be common at the moment but i have a messy bummed Bunny!
I have two so cant be 100% but she has long fur which gives it away, we have not changed the diet in over a year.....
Bowl of veg in morning, Curly cale mainly and either carrot broc or something similar. then 40g of Supreme Science Selective rabbit between them(we had poo problems last year and changing fixed it.

In the morning after veg its clean but after tea of pellets a few hours later there are those (forgive me i forget the name, cecals?) stringy mini grapes lol! And where she seems to be lazy she falls asleep in it yuk!

My question can i up the veg and down the pellets, they eat ALL there hay (which is quite a lot) and wolf down anything they are fed, dont understand why it has suddenly happend!

Thanks!

i have found one of my bun gets terrible diarrhoea after having carrot.. to be honest they dont NEED carrot so cuttinh it out wont be a problem and see how you go. along with the carrot i have just found out on the forum that curly kale can be high in calcium and as you said its there main thing i would cut down on it a little mine now only get a small handful a day, so they still get calcium but not too much :) have you tried spring greens? after the diorrhoea stops maybe tempt them with a bit of that, remeber to wash them though! its brill that they eat alot of hay :D:thumb: and grass is great too, the more they can have a free range nomming grass the better, hay is just dried grass but obviously grass has more nutrition :D cut out the carrot and see if it makes an difference? As long as they eat lots of hay then they wont miss out on a carrot :lol: :wave:

Last edited:
Myself I've found it's not necessarily the amount of veg but the type of veg.

I agree with this.

How long has this been a problem for?
I would cut out the veg for a couple of days and increase the hay, this might help get things back to normal. Then start introducing one veg at a time, you might be able to find out the cause this way?

Marley had this problem, i put it down to an upset tummy. I first cut out the veg, not a lot happened and so i stopped feeding him anything but hay for a couple of days and he was fine.

Last edited:
Back