• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

reaction to VHD jab?

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
A friend from work texted earlier to say her youngest bun (got after my persistent nagging, i mean helpful educating, about the merits of buns being in pairs :lol:) seems unwell after his first VHD jab yesterday, i checked he was eating and she said yes but that he is very subdued and not himself, he went on the lawn for a bit and ate some grass. I've just asked how he is and she said still quiet, i've given her the number for the animal hospital as told her to ring her own vets and get the out of hours number but they didn't have one :? She's just going to keep an eye on him but i've told her to ring the vets straight away if he stops eating or any other changes.

Is it common to get a reaction from VHD? I've tried searching the forums for this but can't get it to work right :oops:, so sorry if this has been asked a thousand times already

Does she know if Cylap or Lapinject was used? (should be on her invoice/receipt if she got one, or she could ring vet and ask). From reading on here, a reaction to Cylap is quite common x

A friend from work texted earlier to say her youngest bun (got after my persistent nagging, i mean helpful educating, about the merits of buns being in pairs :lol:) seems unwell after his first VHD jab yesterday, i checked he was eating and she said yes but that he is very subdued and not himself, he went on the lawn for a bit and ate some grass. I've just asked how he is and she said still quiet, i've given her the number for the animal hospital as told her to ring her own vets and get the out of hours number but they didn't have one :? She's just going to keep an eye on him but i've told her to ring the vets straight away if he stops eating or any other changes.

Is it common to get a reaction from VHD? I've tried searching the forums for this but can't get it to work right :oops:, so sorry if this has been asked a thousand times already

Yes, the VHD vaccine can make some Rabbits feel off colour for 24-48 hours.

They should not stop eating/pooing, but they may be quiet and somewhat withdrawn.

Thanks :wave: I'll get her to check if it was that cylap, it rings a bell now you've mentioned it, i've heard people talking about that causing problems too, she's going to keep tabs on his food and water intake i forgot about the pooing :oops: i'll text her to tell her to watch for that as well, and keep a really close eye on him, hopefully it is just an off colour thing and that he'll have brightened up in the morning, he's a gorgeous little thing, i was round their house the other day helping with bonding him to his wifeybun-to-be, we put them on the trampoline as the only neutral spot and put mashed bananas on his head :love::love: and she licked it all off :love: they're almost ready to move in together :)

Yes, the VHD vaccine can make some Rabbits feel off colour for 24-48 hours.

They should not stop eating/pooing, but they may be quiet and somewhat withdrawn.

I total agree with this. When I used to have Cylap all my buns would be very subdued afterwards, Bluebell in particular would be like this for 48 hrs. He was always happy to eat though so if the bun isn't eating a vet visit is probably in order.

They now have Lapinject and are totally fine.

Back