• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How dangerous is it...

KTJ

Alpha Buck
... if a bun eats human food?

My Furby is a teeny weeny 4 month old house bun who eats ANYTHING.
I've caught him in my handbag munching on fruit pastelles before, he's helped himself to fruit (he LOVES cherries and grapes) and I've just walked into my room to find him nibbling on a custard cream biscuit that I completely forgot to dip in my tea and eat earlier.

I try my hardest to bunny proof my house, but he's so small, he seems to be able to find food everywhere! He was only neutered 3 days ago, and apart from the very first day I brought him home, he has been as hyper as ever, all he does is charge around the place at high speed binkying... he is NEVER calm!!

I never give him human food (other than veg) and he has unlimited access to hay, pellets and water, yet he will still eat anything he can find!

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a sneaky little bun, but was just wondering what sort've effect human food has on buns.

Its going to depend on the food and the bunny involved. Its just a case of being completely super vigilant really to minimise it as much as possible. Or else enclose him in an area that you know if safe (like a particular room or something).

I have had several bunnies who think/thought that my tea was for sharing :roll: and I've chased bunnies across floor after baked beans, chips, all sorts, but they never got more than a mouthful. Then I just stopped having those bunnies around at tea time.

You should also talk to Snowberry about her Strawberry :lol: He used to give her a similar run around.

I agree with Sky-O.

As I see it the main issue is that our food is high in sugars & fats. These abnormal constituents can cause an inbalance in the bacteria in the bunny gut needed to digest their food properly, which leads to certain tummy issues. They can't digest fat meat or dairy products at all.

There was a time when Thumper would be into a shopping bag & into the biscuits while I was unpacking.
I put all the shopping on the kitchen work surface, started using a plate more, & am fortunate that he lives totally at ground level, which is rare.

They are totally different from cats & dogs in psychology & relationships. With many buns if they see you do something, they reckon that they can do it too. So I changed some of my behaviour to help him. Never underestimate their intelligence! :shock:

He has all his wild bun instincts. He made massive changes in his behaviour, so we live together very harmoniously. It's understanding unacceptable behaviour which is rooted in ordinary bunny behaviour & redirecting it to something acceptable as soon as it happens. You probably won't win on food, so it's a matter of keeping them separate.

Thumps has always had a very sensitive tummy. Most bunnies get away with the occasional small mishap.

I think that small bunnies are much more active than larger bunnies.
Most slow down a bit when they are 1-2 years old. :)

Thank you Sky-O and Thumps, I really appreciate your replies.

Furby is meant to be going outside to live with his 2 sisters in a few weeks (he was only neutered this week, so in about 6 weeks time) but however much I know he'll love the company, and it'll completely stop him nomming food he shouldn't, I'm going to miss him soooo much :(

I guess until he moves into the shed I'll just have to ensure I don't leave food around!

I'm also sorry Thumps has a sensitive tummy, I bet that can be really worrying if you suspect he's eaten something he shouldn't. In that respect, I'm glad my Furbs isn't as sensitive, because he seems to think he can eat anything......... even my leather handbag! :lol:

Back