• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bunny Rolling

lauraocal

Warren Scout
Hi my bunny was diagnosed with head tilt and has been rolling.
Although the rolling has stopped and she is alot brighter and happier now, I was wondering how this wobble she has will affect her?

My vet said its unlikely she'll fully regain her balance and I'm wondering how this will affect her quality of life?

She is even starting t binkey again so I know she is feeling alot better but she ends up crashing into a wall or when she cleans her bottom by bending forward, she topples over.
Will she live happily with this condition?

She is chinning everything like she used to and my thoughts are turning once again to getting her speyed.
Not right now of course.. I will wait until my vet advises it to be safe enough but I wanted to know if this will still be an option for her?
When she is stressed she rolls and I know from experience its a very stressfull time for them.

I have an adult speyed female already and in an attempt to get my two girls as best of friends their temperments will allow, I need to get the poorly one done too.

Any advised regarding the above or if anyone else has had a bunny with head tilt, I would appreciate any advise on how to keep her happy and safe.

The members of this forum have been
an excellent source of help and advice to me over recent months
and I would like to say a big Thank You to you all.​

Thank you for the link.
Its gave me some great tips and as I'm off to the vets again today, I have some meds I can ask for so she gets the best care possible.
When my older lionhead was speyed I went to the vets and demanded certain items like metacam and some feed i could syringe to her as she stopped eating for a while and my vet did not take too kindly to this at all so I feel quite nervous about asking.
I just wish I lived near a good rabbit vet.

Wish me look with the vets.. I think I'll need it.

Thank you for the link.
Its gave me some great tips and as I'm off to the vets again today, I have some meds I can ask for so she gets the best care possible.
When my older lionhead was speyed I went to the vets and demanded certain items like metacam and some feed i could syringe to her as she stopped eating for a while and my vet did not take too kindly to this at all so I feel quite nervous about asking.
I just wish I lived near a good rabbit vet.

Wish me look with the vets.. I think I'll need it.

There are a few folk on here in Nottingham. If you put a thread up in 'Rabbit Chat' asking for help locating a Bunny savvy Vet in your area I am sure someone can help :)

Hope you get on OK at the appointment today. Please keep us posted

xx

the appointment went well, and my bun is alot more energetic and eating normal again.
She has just started rolling again though.
I lifted her to put her in another room so i could hoover but it set her off rolling once more and we went outside and all sorts today without any problems but now...?

Is this a case of she could start doing it at anytime, for the rest of her life now?
If it is then at least I wont feel so shocked about it. I was expecting a wobble to remain but .. thats it.
if someone can just tell me if this is her getting worse or the new normal?

I'm glad your bun seems to be improving :)

My rabbit developed headtilt in November and was on medication for about a month. She was very dizzy to start with and could not take more than about 2 or 3 hops without rolling and if I picked her up she would roll when I put her down again.
She started to noticably improve after about 5 days and was able to move better and only rolled occasionally. She didn't improve any further after that but was able to move quite quickly again and coped fine with the wobbles.
Now in this last week (a month after her treatment finished) her head has straightened and she is almost back to normal :shock: She is the only bun I have had with headtilt though so I don't know how common that is.

It is normal for then to suddenly roll because if they go a bit of balance it is difficult for them to right themselves. It can take several weeks to see a significant improvement. It is true that some rabbits never regain there balance and continue to roll sometimes but they learn to cope. You will just need to take it each day at a time.

Hello,
My bunny has had quite severe head tilt since april last year, he still rolls about 5 - 20 times a day. He manages to pick himself back up straight away now, but for a few months after he first got it he would topple over and be wriggling about, and i would have to help him back up. He also used to topple over when he was grooming.
At the end of this vid you can see how he was, its quite hard to see as its dark!
http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/kirstykermit/?action=view&current=P1011095.flv
He now runs about like a nutter at top speeds, but then can just be walking and roll over...dunno why!
He has a normal bunny life apart from the head tilt and rolling, he has coped very well.
I also find that if i pick kermit up then that sets his balance off and when i put him back down he struggles to get upright straight away, so i try to pick him up as little as possible, i just go down on the floor for cuddles now!
Im just off out for now, but if you wanna ask anything feel free and ill get back to you in the morning, or check back through my early posts and youll be able to read about kermit's head tilt etc.
K xx

Back