• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

YOUR HELP NEEDED - Stats - Reasons For Bunnies Being Given Up

I know this doesn't help with the statistics request but what about all the buns that come to rescues from breeders (if they don't meet a worse fate)? They breed rabbits knowing full well that not all who are born will fit their 'breed standard' and so will be 'surplus'. Makes me so angry that breeders kill/abandon rabbits just because they don't fit with their breeding programme. grrr.

I also have all this info when an animal comes in to.
But I only started asking where the animal had come from a few years back the rest of the info goes back 8 years though.

I think a few years back would be very useful indeed; as I understand it, even if the record keeping started now, it would be very gratefully received.

Thankyou.

Our rescue was only started 6 months ago and we are still sorting some of the admin side but we could probably incorporate some thing into the system. I would be pleased to be included in this but we are currently not on any RWA mailing list.

Our rescue was only started 6 months ago and we are still sorting some of the admin side but we could probably incorporate some thing into the system. I would be pleased to be included in this but we are currently not on any RWA mailing list.

Thank you - duly noted.

Will post more info when I have it.

Chloe, I'm sure if we put our heads together at fatfluffs we could quite easilly come up with some figures on why the current buns that are with us are in rescue or have recently been rehomed & the ones that we've rehomed ourselves. That would probably cover about 50 - 100 buns and would be a good sample size for us to send in.

off the top of my head I think the reasons we've taken in are:

Dumped/Stray - i.e. no known reason
Accidental litter - Missexed
Children bored
Moving to accomodation that can't take rabbits/moving abroad
Financial circumstances
Bunny is vicious - usually a neutering problem
RSPCA seizure - Neglect/out of control
Owner illness/death
Breeders e.g. giving up, reject that would other wise be dumped etc.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, the survey forms are now ready to go out.

If you aren't already on the RWF list of rescue but feel that you would like to contribute to this very important and necessary gathering of info, please PM me!

Thank you all.

Helen

I know that you are aiming this survey at rescues, but there seem to be so many buns floating around just now.

My first came from a friend, whose husband was planning to release it in the woods. I said we would have it because although I didn't know anything about rabbits knew it was the wrong thing to do.

Second came from SSPCA, was a baby born in the rescue.

Third came from SSPCA, Dundee, was left abandoned at rescue with another rabbit.

Fourth, I have just adopted after finding him hopping around our road. He has weepy eye and I reckon he has been dumped.

For the future, it would be a good idea to contact all the rescues that are on here or connected. Set up a central area with a recording area for each rescue so they can record this data for future. If it was done along the lines of an excel worksheet for each named Rescue, you could link those worksheets onto a total sheet and then have all the data at your fingertips, maybe not for this year but for future years.

Hi everyone, the survey forms are now ready to go out.

If you aren't already on the RWF list of rescue but feel that you would like to contribute to this very important and necessary gathering of info, please PM me!

Thank you all.

Helen

:wave:ARC have one of the original questionnaires

I know that you are aiming this survey at rescues, but there seem to be so many buns floating around just now.

My first came from a friend, whose husband was planning to release it in the woods. I said we would have it because although I didn't know anything about rabbits knew it was the wrong thing to do.

Second came from SSPCA, was a baby born in the rescue.

Third came from SSPCA, Dundee, was left abandoned at rescue with another rabbit.

Fourth, I have just adopted after finding him hopping around our road. He has weepy eye and I reckon he has been dumped.

For the future, it would be a good idea to contact all the rescues that are on here or connected. Set up a central area with a recording area for each rescue so they can record this data for future. If it was done along the lines of an excel worksheet for each named Rescue, you could link those worksheets onto a total sheet and then have all the data at your fingertips, maybe not for this year but for future years.

Hiya,

The survey itself isn't just for rescues. Currently the only source of information that the RWA have is a list of rescues, but what I am trying to do is to get the information from places that aren't on the list, so people that don't show up as rescues. It can be people who have taken in one pair of rabbits or ten pairs. So people that take in to rehome specifically, or that end up keeping them to (would want to show this to be the case though).

Obviously the information has to show the first point that the rabbit gets to after it's left it's original home so for example, off Freecycle, passed from neighbour to neighbour, or surrendered to a rescue centre or dumped. The point of our collecting the stats is to support the idea that rabbits as unwanted pets is a massive problem. We have to be able to demonstrate this to be the case with fact to make the case.

We need as much info as we can. What we can't use is info from people who have adopted a rabbit from a rescue as this would duplicate the figures from those rescues who submit their own figures.

You are right about the spreadsheet; that's exactly what I have to do. I have an Excel spreadsheet and I'll be collecting the data as you describe, to be submitted for analysis. :D

Back