• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about forced feeding my rabbit with stasis

My lovely rabbit aged 7 is in gut stasis for the 2nd time in 4 days. He is not insured as he was too old when we adopted him. On Thursday he had 4 injections and saline costing £220. He was fine by Friday morning but back in stasis last night. We brought both rabbits into our living room from outside as I was worried it was too cold for them. I gave emeprid, metacam and critical care. I have done the same this morning but no change yet. I am terrified of another £200 bill but will not leave him to suffer. Should I keep feeding every few hours? He really hates the syringe in his mouth and refuses to swallow the emeprid.

Please, please do NOT administer any more prokinetic drugs until you are certain the Rabbit does not have a GI tract obstruction. Giving prokinetics to an obstructed Rabbit can be fatal. Do not force feed either, unless an obstruction has been ruled out by an abdominal examination, blood glucose test and possibly an abdominal Xray. Force feeding an obstructed Rabbit can also be extremely dangerous.

Unfortunately your Rabbit must be seen by a Vet today.

If you are in receipt of any means tested Benefits you would be eligible to subsidised vet treatment via the RSPCA/PDSA

Back