• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why have my rabbits fallen out?!

rabbitpig

Young Bun
Hi just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what is going on with my buns and offer any advice on what, if anything, I should do.

I woke up this morning at 6 and could hear a lot of noise coming from the run in the garden, When I looked out my male rabbit was frantically chewing the wood at the base if the run and digging at the wire. He kept doing it so I went out and put few pellets in to distract him because he had chewed so much of the wood a big pile of bits were lying on the ground and I was worried he was actually going to chew through it! When I opened the playhouse door to chuck the pellets In I saw a big chunk if my doe's hair lying on the floor but it's not unsual for him to pull her fur but it's usually just little bits. He has been chasing her all day and has chased her away from their pile of forage a few times too. They normally get on fine although he is definitely the dominant one of the 2. I actually just thought to myself a couple if days ago how affectionate he was being to her as normally it's the other way round but I saw him licking her face which he doesn't usually so although she does it to him.

The only thing I can think if that might have upset him is a young cat/kitten keeps coming in our garden and watching them although it's far smaller than them and they don't seem to be to be bothered by it. When I see it I usually send the dog out to scare it away in the hope that it will eventually stop coming back! Could this be what made him suddenly start acting so strangely. Why would he suddenly be trying to dig out if his run? The get out in the garden for several hours every day and when they aren't in the garden they have an 8ft run attached to a 5x5 playhouse so the have plenty of space .do you think they will settle down again on their own or should I do something to help them?

Thanks for reading, sorry it's ended up being such an essay!

Sorry I don't know. I had a quad until Badger passed three weeks ago & now my remaining three have fallen out too :cry: I've got a pair & a single & don't know what to do now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My rabbits do fall out on occasions - sometimes over food, sometimes for no apparent reason. The fur certainly can fly. You mention forage being a flashpoint - may be it was a food thing.

Hopefully for your two, it is just one of those things which can happen :)

There is a thing called refereed aggression - when a rabbit can't attack the thing he wants to, sometimes he'll take it out on his partner. It could be something like the cat is stressing him out and he's taking it out on her.

Hopefully it will settle down with time but keep an eye.

I'd suggest spreading the forage out/scattering it all over so there isn't a pile to fight over :)

Back