• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What vegetables do you feed your rabbits daily?

Alicia

Mama Doe
I know they need a variety of vegetables but I'm not sure what foods are ok to feed regularly and which should only be given as a treat. I was told that they could have pretty much the same vegetables my guinea-pigs have, which is: carrot, celery, cucumber, bell pepper and baby corn. Would this be ok? What other vegetables could I give them regularly? I wouldn't give them the same vegetables every day though because I know they need a variety

Carrot contains alot of sugar so i only feed mine carrot twice a week.
Daily i feed Spring Greens,Flat leaf parsley,corriander and mint:D

carrots and peppers are high in sugar so shouldnt be fed regularly. Green pepper is the lowest in sugar.

I feed spring greens/spring cabbage and celery everyday as a staple, then on top everyday I feed a handful of one of the following: broccoli, herbs, spinach, rocket, watercress, carrot, green beans, pepper, tomato and others I cant remember right now :lol:

herbs are best as they are high in fibre, low in sugar and most arent high in calcium.

1 slice of carrot, 1 slice of apple, half a medium sprig of broccoli, half a large spring green leaf.

The main veg that my three have are carrots and spring greens. I have one with a stomach condition and these are the ones that she copes best with.

Their favourite is banana but they only get it as a very special treat.

Depends on my bunnies as some need to eat less calcium, put weight on or lose weight, but generally speaking it consists of celery, spring greens, kale, sweetheart cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts (in moderation as can linked to gas), carrot tops (when available), cauliflower (leaves and a little bit of the floret), parsley, coriander, tiny bit of thyme, carrot, occasional pieces of apple or pear.

ETA: not all of these on a daily basis!!! :lol::lol: It changes depending on what I get in that week's shop!

Oscar always has broccoli everyday and some sort of cabbage/spring green. Then a mix of different herbs, celery, carrot tops, a small slice of carrot, sprouts or pepper

Spring greens, fresh mint & dill and dried Coltsfoot everyday, Broccoli and/or sprouts every now and again.
I have to keep it simple for Pie and her stomach problems.

Mine get a lot of variety, differs from day to day. Also, depends what's yellow stockades in the shop.

I make sure I have in all the time..

Broccoli, carrot, rocket, pepper, some form of cabbage, a herb and celery.

Then whatevers on offer or reduced:wave:

Mine dont really get veges every day...
They get dried herbs - apple leaves / rosemary (sometimes fresh)/ lavender/ brambles/ rose petals & leaves / lemon balm..../ strawberry leaves / calendula /

Occasionally I will give the some broccoli - but not often as it does cause gas,
They go mad for apple & banana...again very occasional treat....

Ive found when I give them veges - they all get mucky bums....so even though they like the veges...i dont think it makes them feel too good...so leave them out and use them as a treat now & then...

Otherwise hay hay hay....

Will hopefully be drying alot more this summer now I know what to gather and how much they actually need to last the winter...alot!:lol:

Mine get one or two of kale, cabbage/sprong greens, cauliflower, carrot, and carrot tops, plus small amounts of apple, banana (treat), raddish, or tomatoe. I think cucumber is high in water like lettuce isnt it so should only be fed minimally? Is right? Does anyone feed courgette? I had one going spare in my fridge last week but wasnt sure so I binned it.

On a daily basis mine get carrot (but not too much) and broccoli and some herbs like parsley and corriander, but then they get some of what ever else we have in the house so maybe some peppers, cabbage, cauliflower, greens etc and for a weekly treat they get some fruit like Apple, Pear or banana :D

Spring greens and dill are the main staple's for mine now here is a list of safe veg - introduce new ones in tiny portions and slowly and i would limit combinations to 3 per day but, that's just me, I don't feed brocolli anymore either as I do think it's a gassy vegetable :wave:

Vegetables:
• Artichoke leaves
• Asparagus
• Baby Sweetcorns (but not full size ones)
• Beetroot (care with leafy tops as high levels of oxalic acid)
• Broccoli (and its leaves, including purple sprouting varieties)
• Brussel Sprouts (leaves and sprouts)
• Cabbage (can sometimes cause digestive upsets)
• Carrots (and carrot tops) – the roots should be limited as they are high in sugars
• Cauliflower (and the leaves)
• Celeriac
• Celery (and its leaves)
• Chicory
• Courgette (and flowers)
• Cucumber
• Curly Kale
• Fennel
• Green beans
• Kohl rabi
• Parsnip
• Peas (including the leaves and pods)
• Peppers (red, green and yellow)
• Pumpkin
• Radish Tops
• Rocket
• Romaine lettuce (not Iceberg or light coloured leaf)
• Spinach (only occasional)
• Spring Greens
• Squash (e.g. Butternut)
• Swede
• Turnip (only occasional)
• Watercress

Herbs (often powerful tastes so may take some getting used to):
• Basil
• Coriander
• Dill
• Mint (peppermint)
• Parsley
• Oregano
• Rosemary
• Sage
• Thyme

Fruits (should be fed in moderation, due to sugar content – up to 2 tablespoons worth per day):

Apple
• Apricot
• Banana (high in potassium)
• Blackberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Blueberries
• Cherries
• Grapes
• Kiwi Fruit
• Mango
• Melon
• Nectarines
• Oranges (not the peel)
• Papaya
• Peaches
• Pears
• Pineapple
• Plums
• Raspberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Strawberries (and leaves)
• Tomatoes (not the leaves)
Wild Garden Herbs/Weeds/Flowers:
• Borage
• Calendula
• Camomile
• Chickweed (astringent)
• Clover (leaves and flowers)
• Coltsfoot
• Comfrey
• Dandelion (diuretic properties)
• Goosegrass (cleavers) but may stick to coat!
• Lavender
• Mallow
• Nettle
• Nasturtium (leaves and flowers)
• Shepherd’s purse
• Sow Thistle
• Plantain
• Yarrow

i dont :)

Just herbs and hay, and 10 pellets per bun.

ASDA herbs are on rollback to 50p on all of them - I was chuffed yesterday got a load of whoopsed aswell down to 30p!!! They had a nice big herb salad for tea here last night :lol:

Back