• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snakes!

swalk

Warren Scout
hi all

this is very bizarre so wasn't sure where to post...

this morning I was out in the garden watering the veg with my 2 buns out eating the grass, when from the corner of my eye I saw something move. It turned out to be a snake! I screamed for my other half as I watched it move from the decking area, up the steps and into our kitchen!

Other half being deaf (really) took time to answer as son told him where I was. By the time he got to me the snake was inside the kitchen.....at the same time we then watched Rascal, our dwarf lop, follow it in and try to play with it!!!! The snake was faster than her and wriggled away.

needless to say I shooed Rascal out of the kitchen back into the garden. The snake made the most god almightly stink and promptly hid under the washing machine!

I then discovered that my OH was as scared of snakes as I was! We rang the RSPCA local office but it was closed, the vet 's was closed - so we rang OH dad in law who has had experience with snakes...having being bitten by an adder when younger....

from the piccies taken we have worked out it was a grass snake - and I'm not exagerating when I say it was at least a metre long - and OH dad in law was game enough to reach under the units to grab it and bring it out.....with screams from me I'm afraid to admit!

the grass snake has now been removed from our garden and relocated to a very nice country area just 2 miles away.

I saw the post about being aware of foxes in suburban locations - but snakes? :p

Can they harm bunnies if they are bitten? Why would Rascal go to 'play' with it?

anyone else had an experience with snakes??? :shock::roll:

thanks

mummy to Rascal and Charlie Chaplin

just to add

we have a 'secure' garden (or so I thought!) for the bunnies!
we have a brook at the end of our garden behind a 6 foot wooden fence - and beyond that an housing estate. We have houses to either side of us as well.....:shock:

me too! :oops:

so was such a wooossss when I saw it! :oops:

has anyone else seen their rabbit go to play with a snake??????

Grass snakes, typically live on frogs, toads, fish and 'small' mamals. The bite is not poisonous and they are protected in Britain.
By the sounds of things your rabbits may have suffered a nasty bite, but weren't at risk of being eaten or poisoned.:)

because rascal is a cheeky little monkey who doesnt know what is good for her! :lol: im not suprised at all at her! shes so naughty :lol::lol:

I think, its natural for bunnies to investigate, and she is pretty fearless anyway!

you are so right!

I couldn't beleive that Rascal just ran in after the snake and went for it's tail!

being deaf she obviously didn't hear me screaming at it or her!!!!!

Charlie just pretended to be so cool and stayed out of it.....for 3 hours!!!! but my god, I hate snakes!

I'm prety sure neither bun has been bitten and they are just sunggled up on the treadmill together now - just like Smudge and Rascal used to do!:love:
been trying to add photo of 'massive' snake but still haven't got the hang of it!!!:shock:

OMG how terrifying!! Glad your bunny didn't get bitten! Grass snakes are pretty harmless but that's a big grass snake! :shock:

sally emailed me the snake piccie and ive uploaded it for her!

Its scary!! i hope it doesnt find its way up the road to my house! :shock:

snake.jpg

OK! can't compete with that snake!

just really surprised to see her going for the snake in in the house!!!

fingers crossed I don't get any more!!!:lol:

Sarah Jane - the offending snake was released towards Witham and not Tiptree! :lol::lol::lol:

OK! can't compete with that snake!

just really surprised to see her going for the snake in in the house!!!

fingers crossed I don't get any more!!!:lol:

Sarah Jane - the offending snake was released towards Witham and not Tiptree! :lol::lol::lol:

im in the middle of both! its going to come to my house i know it!

definitely released towards the Braintree/Witham area and not the Maldon area! also been told that they don't have 'families' so not affecting other sankes....

trust Rascal to love playing with it!!:lol::love:

has anyone seen a snake that big!!!

This is one impressive snake! :shock: I don't blame you for being scared but, as others said, grass snakes are harmless to people (and bunsters).

Well done to your dad for moving it to a safe place. :)
(I find snakes fascinating but wouldn't have the guts to touch one. :oops:)

well, like you I was too scared!!!:oops:

let's hope the snake gets a bit of calm now.....

#sally:wave:

:shock::shock:My word i would have had a fit.
That snake is huge:shock:
Glad bunnies were ok.

I'm jealous. I love snakes. I had them as pets before we moved to the UK. I walk in the woods/field alot and have not seen one since we've been here:( The smelly bit is a defense mechanism. You have a proper guard bunny! Scared the $%#@ out of the snake:lol:
If you find any more, they can come and live in my garden:)

Back