• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please could you help with bonding - I’ve had to split them up

Melanie25

New Kit
I’ve had my two mail neutered rabbits taking it in turns who has free roam indoors and who is in the large run, to try and get them use to eachother a little before bonding.
Today we popped them together and although B was constantly trying to hump W and some fur was pulled, they weren’t fighting so to speak but then he was definitely pulling at W’s skin and he’s pulled a lot of fur out and left a mark on his back. I’ve had to separate them. They would lay by eachother sometimes then he would hop back on and W never seemed to turn round and get annoyed.
W had been bonded before, lived together for 4 years but sadly we lost his mate. B is a rescue (apparent move abroad) we have been told had never been with another rabbit, was a house rabbit with a dog (although he appears to have chewed whiskers which I would expect from living with another Rabbit)
How long should I wait to try again? Or should I not? I assume at least until W has grown some fur back?
Any help gratefully received 🐰🐰

How long have they both been neutered?
Is B definitely a neutered boy? How long has he been with you?

It is usually recommended to leave bonding until at least 6 weeks after neutering so that the hormone levels have reduced. If you've also not had B for very long, he may just be settling in. Or he may be a she?

How long have they both been neutered?
Is B definitely a neutered boy? How long has he been with you?

It is usually recommended to leave bonding until at least 6 weeks after neutering so that the hormone levels have reduced. If you've also not had B for very long, he may just be settling in. Or he may be a she?
Thanks so much. They are both definitely male as had them neutered myself, but yes maybe I need to wait for the hormones, didn’t think of that 🙈 He’s been here a couple of months.
Many thanks - I’ll hold off and hopefully not be back for help. They have a larger lovely enclosure outside to live together but both living inside at present so that in the end we have somewhere neutral for them to be with more room as it’s been empty now for a good few months having lost one.
Have a great weekend

Good luck with the bunnies, I've never done a bond myself, but plenty of folk here have, so shout up if you need help once you start. Hopefully all will go well 😊

Agree with waiting for hormones to settle, when I bonded I used a neutral area as my existing bunny was used to having the entire house free roam except the kitchen, so I had to bond in there. Good luck!

Back