• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible cancerous lump on cheek :(

elaine84

Warren Scout
I feel my bunnies’ cheeks quite often to check for lumps etc and yesterday my heart sank when I found one on Rosie’s cheek :( It’s round and firm like a pea. I thought abscess so took her to a gold standard rwaf vet who was great. He took a needle biopsy and said he thinks it’s cancer not an abscess, results are back in 4 days (after the weekend). Has anyone had similar that has been successfully treated / removed? It’s equally between her eye and jawline so is in an awkward position to operate on :(
She’s just turning 8 years old but still seems like a young bun.

Sorry to hear this Elaine. I had one Bunny, Uncle Albert, who developed a Fibrosarcoma, but in his mouth as opposed to on his head. These tumours seldom metastasise, but often recur after removal.

Uncle A had two op’s to remove the tumour. The ops being about 6 months apart. When the second op was done my Vet was not able to remove all of it with a clear margin because doing so would have damaged a big blood vessel and it’s unlikely that it Would be possible to stop the bleeding. When the tumour grew back for a third time we had to let Uncle A go. He was about 11 by then.

I hope that if your Rabbit’s mass does turn out to be malignant there will be some treatment options. Even if not curative but to buy her a bit more time.

Thank you, I suppose at least that’s good to hear they don’t often metastasise. I’m sorry to hear about Uncle Albert but glad the ops helped him.
Praying Rosie will be ok :(

The vet just rang, I missed his call as I was doing the washing up (that’ll teach me!) but he left an answerphone message saying it’s good news it doesn’t appear to be malignant 👏 He still wants to do the operation though due to the place it’s in - it covers her chop on one side so it could cause problems if not removed and grows. So I’ll be worrying about the op but at least that’s some good news and he’s going to call me later.

I hope the op goes well. It won't bother her, but it could look a bit gruesome for a while afterwards as she may have half a face shaved and obvious wound / stitches. Just be prepared as it can be a bit of a shock, even if you are expecting it.

Back