• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor housing help.............

Meg and Jas

Young Bun
I'm hoping to adopt my first pair of bunnies at the start of August and I'm trying to get my outdoor housing sorted out but am finding it a little tricky :shock:

My initial plan was that I wanted to use this area of the garden...........

And have a shed/playhouse type setup but basically the flooring is totally unsuitable and it would all need concreting over and I'm not handy at all so would have to get people in to do it etc and it would be quite a big job I think.

So my revised plan was to look to use this area of the garden as it's already paved.....

But obviously it's smaller and there are doors and windows to consider so I think I'd have to go for a hutch with a run attached.

I also have this area if I got someone to move the tool shed it's all paved underneath..........

But the issue there is that the garage door opens out into it and the door to the greenhouse needs to be accessed so I'm not sure that it would be large enough.

At the moment I'm leaning towards picture no 2 and getting this from the Welfare Hutch Company......

http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/6ft_x_45ft_Rabbit_Hutch_Under_Run/p1466125_10289925.aspx

Or this with a run attached........

http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/6ft_Double_Storey_Rabbit_Hutch/p1466125_8504900.aspx

I've seen a couple of things that I really like from Boyles but it looks like they've got a 12 week delivery lead time which is going to be too late. Even the Welfare Hutch Company has a 28 day lead time so that is still cutting it fine.

I do live really locally to thehutchman and have spoken to him previously about having something custom made but I've not been able to contact him and it looks like he hasn't posted on here for a while so I wondered if anyone knew what had happened to him or if he's still making hutches?

My own suggestion would be to still use option 1. The wendy house can be raised on bricks and set over the pebbles. You would then need about 12 paving slabs (depending on the size) which, quite honestly, you could lay directly on top of the pebbles - it's only supporting a run after all. If you wanted a slightly more level paved area, then you could put some sand down before the slabs. I'm only a 5ft 2" female but even I've managed to lay slabs to go under a run. It's not got to be perfect - just level enough so that the bunnies are safe.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply :) One of my main problems is that I do have a back issue so there's no way I'm going to be able to lay slabs and build a shed or a playhouse - I do pretty much need to find a company and that can literally do the whole thing from scratch for me and the difficulty with that is a) finding one and b) it not costing a total fortune :( I think even the stuff from Boyles is self assembly which then means getting someone in build it!

I think I'm just finding it all a bit more complicated that I was hoping so far :(

(Just as an idea could they live indoors? - I have a rubbish back and am finding the rabbits being outside a little tough, they will move into the shed for the winter for SURE)

Could you turf the area? might be easier to do yourself?? - not sure obviously.

the hutches you have chosen look good to me.

This guy has a five week waiting list?

http://www.ukrabbithutches.co.uk/largerabbithutches.html

I am getting my run from him and so far he has been very helpful

Last edited:
I would go for Option 1 which looks like a cosy corner but does it face south. This may be too hot in the Summer. You can order playhouses on line with an assembly service, eg A1 Sheds do one for £289 inclusive of delivery and assembly. Also Shed.co.uk have an assembly service and there are others. I think a playhouse is much better value for money as well as giving your rabbits more protection from the weather and predators. My oldest playhouse is now 6 years old which I bought from B and Q, they weather much better than hutches.

When I got my shed I asked on a facebook group and someone said they would build it for me for £40, the company I bought it from wanted £170 for installation so that would of been a big saving but we built it ourselves in the end. I got a 6x8 shed for £230 with free delivery and paint from a website called walltons. Also you can buy bases so they can be built straight on to grass. http://m.waltons.co.uk/

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies :) Milo I don't think it would be an option to have them as house bunnies as we have 2 cats who have access to all areas of the house so I wouldn't be able to dedicate a room to having bunnies unfortunately :(

Thanks for the links - I'm guessing if I could find a company to fit and install a shed would it not be suitable to put it straight onto the pebbles - would it need some kind of 'base'?

My shed is down on slabs and then raised up on thick blocks to help prevent damp getting to the flooring. I've seen others here raised up on rows of bricks - you could ask the shed company what they recommend, maybe. I love that area in picture 1, you could have a great set up there it looks like.

Having looked at all 3 photos, I would go for option 1 if at all possible. What's underneath the pebbles, is there a firm base under there already or are the pebbles just placed directly on the soil (perhaps with some weed matting in between). I don't think area 2 is going to be big enough, and I wouldn't recommend a hutch & run set up if you have back problems, as you may find it difficult to climb in and out of the run and to get underneath the hutch to clean it properly. I know any accommodation will require bending to clean the floor, but it's much harder if you're in a confined space and where part of it is less accessible. The third area maybe has potential, it's difficult to see how big it is, how far is it from the fence to the door, and how wide is it? Space requirements vary between rescues so I think it's worth bearing that in mind too - for instance I ask for a minimum of 60 square feet of permanent space and don't like unsupervised free ranging, others ask for less permanent space but are happy with free ranging in addition. Good luck - it's good that you're doing your research and thinking it through properly before deciding what to do :D

Thanks for all the replies - it looks like option 1 is the resounding winner lol! Santa underneath the pebbles in option 1 it's just soil with weed matting inbetween. Unfortunately that was just what was down when we moved in as I'd never have opted for pebbles if I'd designed the area myself :(

I've been having a look around today and quite like the chicken run here.........

http://www.runaboutruns.com/#!standard_products/c8hd

Was thinking perhaps I could just get slabs put down in the run and then have a double hutch inside? I quite like the idea of putting some seating in the run for me to sit out with the bunnies :)

Hi there,
That chicken run looks good, not sure what the mesh is but to be fox proof it needs to be weld mesh, rather than chicken wire, best to check. But I recommend a full height run for sure, so easy to get into for cleaning up etc, and excellent for sitting in with the buns. I have a bench in mine, and the bunnies sit on the bench too.
I'd also recommend a shed rather than a playhouse, again they are so much easier to get into to clean up, no bending like you would have to with a playhouse.
Well done you for doing your research, but the possibilities are endless arn't they, exciting though. Good luck with your decisions.

Just to give you yet more options.... I bought metal dog run panels to build my run, and got a local handyman to build it for me. Mine are from dogrunpanels.co.uk. I used the fence as the back and side of the run so just needed to buy panels for two sides of the run if you know what I mean, and some of those corigated panels for a sheltered roof to keep the buns dry.
Here is a pic of mine
18f42f53b899baa2e5a6a3fb7a974b48_zpsfb4ed3dd.jpg

Back