• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie litter question

oddity

New Kit
Hi all,

I am currently researching before getting some new bunnies, they will be house rabbits iand I havn't had rabbits since I was a child when they were kept outside and obviously things have moved on a lot since then!

I've been trying to work out what I need to setup and ongoing costs. I'm finding lots of great info on this forum, thanks guys! I'm wondering if people might be happy to help me with a litter related question?

Can you tell me what type of litter you use and how much you spend per month on it and where from if yuo have a fave place (for the equivalent of two rabbits if possible!). I can find general info online about wood pellets, and yesterdays news etc, and it would be great to get an idea of how much people actually go through in real life, and in the UK as our prices and supplies are different to the US.

thanks for any help you can give! and nice to meet you all :)

Oddity

I use a thick layer of newspaper topped with hay

Me too, i buy hay bales a fiver a time which last around 6 weeks. Newspaper is getting hard to come by though! They have two 32L underbed storage boxes (like these) and I change them every other day. Newspaper sheets fit those boxes perfectly.

I use newspaper covered by an inch of megazorb (horse bedding) and then topped with hay in plastic underbed storage boxes. It costs me £8 a bag of megazorb which lasts me about 2 months and a bale of hay lasts me about a month which is £4 so bedding and hay for a month is around £8 for me.

I use newspaper, straw and hay. I am finding newspaper hard to come by too. I only know one person who has them (thank God she is happy to save them for me). Straw and hay I get by the bale with the odd hay for pets hay as a change.

Hi all,

I am currently researching before getting some new bunnies, they will be house rabbits iand I havn't had rabbits since I was a child when they were kept outside and obviously things have moved on a lot since then!

I've been trying to work out what I need to setup and ongoing costs. I'm finding lots of great info on this forum, thanks guys! I'm wondering if people might be happy to help me with a litter related question?

Can you tell me what type of litter you use and how much you spend per month on it and where from if yuo have a fave place (for the equivalent of two rabbits if possible!). I can find general info online about wood pellets, and yesterdays news etc, and it would be great to get an idea of how much people actually go through in real life, and in the UK as our prices and supplies are different to the US.

thanks for any help you can give! and nice to meet you all :)

Oddity

Hey!

If you haven't bought a litter tray yet I'd reccomend getting a washing up bowl as I've found cat litter trays aren't big enough for rabbits to properly sit in!! Plus they're a lot cheaper!!

For litter I use back to nature (it might be spelt back2nature im not too sure) for my bun which you can get at the hay experts website or pet planet for like £13ish for 30 liters and I use some newspaper on the bottom of the tray as well with hay on top of it all! I also use cozy n dri for my guinea pigs which is a bit like carefresh but it's a lot softer! You can get like 17.5 liters from pets at home for £11.50 !! I probably buy more litter once every one or two months !!

Hope this help :)

The best thing to use as litter trays are the 32 litre underbed storage boxes, as has already been suggested.

Tesco has been the best place I've found to buy them. The manufacturer they stock uses a nice thick plastic which is stronger. I have spares which I alternate that live in the garage, so they get exposed to cold weather and the thinner ones just break every winter.

Hello everyone!

Thanks so much for your help, that's really kind of you. I haven't got anything yet, I'm spending the next few weeks setting up, which is really exciting, so thanks for the tips.

I'll keep reading the forum and hopefully join in more in the future :)

Cheers

OT

Back