• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New member with a few concerns

Hello,

I'm a new member here and i have a few concerns about the two rabbits my parents have rescued a few days ago. They are two beautiful lionhead rabbits, Bracken (male) and Willow (female) and they have quite a roomy hutch, a single storey 6ft x 2ft hutch. My main worry though is the size of the run. I have a picture below.

c196a655-833f-45d3-8ad2-d8a95415e6f5_zpsb0466231.jpg

They do get time indoors to run around, but still :|

I've tried talking to them and although my mum does listen to my concerns she believes it's fine, theirs really no convincing my dad though. Is the run ok for now?

Many thanks.

Yes

Hello,
Don't worry, that is bigger than the minimum amount of space your bunny should have, but I see why you want to make it larger.
You could buy NC grids and make another pen to attach on to that one (you would have to cut a hole in it first though;) )
Also, you can always give your rabbits some 'floor time' or take them around the garden on a lead to get rid of that extra energy!
So yes, I think that is fine!!!
PS: I am a new member as well, but I have owned bunnies for quite a long time!!!

It's fine for now :) Rabbits are a learning curve so a lot of us start out with accommodation that gets gradually improved.

That sort of run is easier extended with extra panels, so a compromise would be to get a similar one and just add it for extra exercise for part of the time and fold it up if it's in the way.

The downside with that sort of run is they aren't that secure, so you need to be very careful over foxes/cats, with it on grass too you'll need to watch out for digging as if they tried they could dig out very easily!

The Rabbit Welfare Association has a nice magazine on rabbits and membership comes with information booklets, perhaps it might make a nice mothers day present? Sometimes parents listen better when information comes from a third party like that :)

Thank-you for your replies. It's good to know that the run will be ok for now. I may try suggesting extending the metal run and see how that goes.

Tamsin, that's a great idea about the Rabbit Welfare Association magazine, i'll definitely look into that, thank-you :)

Back