• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Adopted Pair - Dominant over my space?

bethanj0nes

Young Bun
As a previous rabbit owner, but newly adopted pair I have just come for some advice.

We have adopted a new bonded pair who are about 3 years old. They have lots of space in the kitchen and we let them venture into the living room. They are more or less potty trained but they seem to poo evergwhere in the living room in lots of different spots. They also try to do it on the sofa but I've been persistent in saying no and pushing them down. They've started nipping at each other which I'm assuming is to assert dominance in the living room along with the poos and some weeing, the lady occasionally wants to hump the male. They seem obsessed with corners and keep trying to get to corners to poo and wee. We have baracaded most of them

It might be wise to decrease their space so they can get into a habit of going in one place. Have they got a nice big litter tray with Hay in it? This hopefully should encourage them to use it.

Thanks all - that's exactly what I thought. Yes they have a 12 foot by 12 foot kitchen so plenty of space, 4 hay feeders and 2 large litter boxes. I just allowed them into the living room for interaction, do you think this will change eventually once they are settled?

It might be wise to decrease their space so they can get into a habit of going in one place. Have they got a nice big litter tray with Hay in it? This hopefully should encourage them to use it.
How long have you had them? I agree with tonibun and would restrict them, for now, in the kitchen. I would view their behaviour as entirely normal, but obviously unwanted. They are territory marking in the living room, as IM said.

Once they behave in the kitchen with using a litter tray and not nipping and humping, I would consider opening up the living room. You should find that then, they will probably still re-start the unacceptable behaviour at the start, but in time that should become less and less.

Thanks all - that's exactly what I thought. Yes they have a 12 foot by 12 foot kitchen so plenty of space, 4 hay feeders and 2 large litter boxes. I just allowed them into the living room for interaction, do you think this will change eventually once they are settled?
It is likely to happen again if you just occasionally let them into another room.

How long have you had them? I agree with tonibun and would restrict them, for now, in the kitchen. I would view their behaviour as entirely normal, but obviously unwanted. They are territory marking in the living room, as IM said.

Once they behave in the kitchen with using a litter tray and not nipping and humping, I would consider opening up the living room. You should find that then, they will probably still re-start the unacceptable behaviour at the start, but in time that should become less and less.
Just a few days... 5 days. Yes that makes sense. I think we let them explore too early and they've taken advantage. It's only one of them that does it. I think we will let them explore after a few weeks.

Back