• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Just stalky grass, Ribwort Plantain, Chickweed and Red Deadnettle collected and fed here. But it was a super day :love:

Regarding their poo, is it just that it looks dark rather than golden? I find that this is the case if they've had lots of grass rather than hay. As long as it looks OK otherwise then I'm not too bothered.

They've failed poo inspection on all counts, wrong shape, colour & size. Mouse & Joe are back on track but Boo is still struggling. She is such a hairy wee beastie & moulting like crazy

ive got plantain, ground elder, brambles, willow, hazel, dandelion, hawthorn and cow parsley today. Double lots so i could dry some. Talking of poo, pepe the bun that had stasis is still not back to normal, his poos look like strings of pearls with hair all inbetween. H is fluffy and going through a bad mould so i guess that is what caused his stasis. Is there anything i can do to help get the poo back to normal. I think its only the brambles that are stopping him going into stasis again.

I've had a good forage today, hope you did too? . Stock piled plantain, ground elder & yellow dead nettle to dry & store.

Of course my bunnies have a lovely selection for their tea too :) Their poo looks rubbish on it though so I'm cutting back on portion size (which were massive)

what kind of area do you get your yellow dead nettle from. I found some red dead nettle but not lots so didnt want to over pick it.

Hubby and I went for a walk this evening and came back with a carrier bag full of dandelions, jack in the hedge and sticky vetch. Bunnies are very happy with their tea tonight!

what kind of area do you get your yellow dead nettle from. I found some red dead nettle but not lots so didnt want to over pick it.

Its from my disused railway area - I'll take a photo sometime soon. There was loads, really good cover. I wasn't sure what it was, took me ages to ID but I'm useless at these things

its great that all these bunnies are loving this forage xx i cant get mine in from the garden because i spread the forage all around to give them a challenge. Now who gets the challenge trying to get them in once the sun is going down lol.. I will be sat out here in the pitch black with them doing binkys all round the garden.

ive got plantain, ground elder, brambles, willow, hazel, dandelion, hawthorn and cow parsley today. Double lots so i could dry some. Talking of poo, pepe the bun that had stasis is still not back to normal, his poos look like strings of pearls with hair all inbetween. H is fluffy and going through a bad mould so i guess that is what caused his stasis. Is there anything i can do to help get the poo back to normal. I think its only the brambles that are stopping him going into stasis again.

I often find the strings of pearls when the rabbits are moulting. With my three I'm sure it's made worse because it seems the more they moult, the more they want to help each other by excessive grooming :)

I agree that Brambles are very good. I also think Plantain is good. I must admit when I see the problem here, I am more fastidious about topping up all the hay areas (newly refreshed hay is much better than some that's been there a couple of hours ;)).

Its from my disused railway area - I'll take a photo sometime soon. There was loads, really good cover. I wasn't sure what it was, took me ages to ID but I'm useless at these things

Everyone is when they start :) It's like learning different bird species. I bet you would have no trouble at all in identifying male and female Sparrow. But I bet also you would find it difficult to describe in detail the different patterning on the feathers of those two sexes. It's the same with plants. You'll get to know several different species just by sight and those that are new you will know which salient points to look for so that you can then pin them down to family and find them easily in a book.

You all sound like you can identify everything!!! But if anyone has any problems or doubts there are still spaces on my forage and gardening plant days - especially the 22 may date.

PM me!

They love the plantain so thats good. Mine seem to be grooming each other a lot too lol.. I will keep giving them the fresh hay, im lucky really that they all love their hay. xx im trying to group things to certain families. Couldnt even get a 100% positive on the rosebay willowherb today lol.. I just keep going back every couple of days and watch how its growing.

They love the plantain so thats good. Mine seem to be grooming each other a lot too lol.. I will keep giving them the fresh hay, im lucky really that they all love their hay. xx im trying to group things to certain families. Couldnt even get a 100% positive on the rosebay willowherb today lol.. I just keep going back every couple of days and watch how its growing.

You may find that the Willowherb is not actually Rosebay, when it flowers. I think most of what we get in the garden is Hoary Willowherb and it's Great Willowherb that grows in the verges across the road. They are all quite similar and apparently hybrids can also occur. Although saying that, in the woods round here, it's definitely Rosebay and grows in wonderful huge clumps. Your strategy is a good one of going back every couple of days. Most of what we have in the garden gets picked as "furry food" before it gets to the flowering stage :lol:

i was looking at youtube videos last night with the plant in front of me and i think i have sent both types. Im going to bring a few home today, im 90% certain now lol.. even the stems look identical now. I wasnt 100% because some have leaves that are a bit broader, but watching videos like you said there are different types with slightly different leaves. Im on the search today for a new plant that ive not picked before. I wouldnt mind but all this work to ID willowherb and the buns might turn their noses up to it. :D

finally found a yellow dead nettle, i was so excited and the buns dont bloody like it lol..
DSCN0410_zpsmo1ncsrp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] I also found this which i thought was in the willow herb family but cant find a match in my books. the petals were pinkish- purple even though they look white on the photo.
DSCN0411_zpsbhu8i03f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Spotted this too, its not another variation of a buttercup is it lol.. any advice please.
DSCN0413_zpswdwpjyvp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your "Yellow Deadnettle" looks white in the photograph? My rabbits, for some reason go mad for Red Deadnettle, are marginally interested if nothing else tastier in the variegated Yellow Archangel, but will not eat White Deadnettle. They must all taste quite different :lol:

Yes, the second photograph is what I call Cuckoo Flower (Cardamine pratensis), which I think is also known as Ladies Smock. I don't feed this and don't know if it's safe.

The third photograph *could be* Cut-leaved Geranium. It grows in the garden here, but I would wait until it flowers to make sure :)

it was like a light yellow colour so i dont know what it is lol.. im going to wait until the last one flowers, especially with my luck with picking buttercups.

Yes, sorry, I think you're probably correct with 3. It looks right for Meadow Buttercup. It will still be interesting to see when it flowers though.

I think ive found 6 different types of buttercup. Before foraging i only thought there was 1 type:lol: I am enjoying the guessing game though and going back to take photos when they flower will be fun too. I should be better next year.

just back from foraging but never took any photos because im absolutely soaked through. At least everything has had a nice water so it will grow bigger for me. My hubby is really getting into it now ive even give him his own bag lol.. Getting him trained for if im ever ill and cant go myself.:lol:

I think ive found 6 different types of buttercup. Before foraging i only thought there was 1 type:lol: I am enjoying the guessing game though and going back to take photos when they flower will be fun too. I should be better next year.

I think you're amazing, and this thread is such a good idea :)

Back