• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mint is being castrated tomorrow morning....

Oh Tasher I am SO sorry, I'll go and have a look at your thread now. :(

My news is much better. Mint (who has a run set up in the kitchen, with his carrying box, litter tray etc) has JUST done his first poo. He would not eat a thing at the vet, and had not pooed, but they said to bring him home anyway. They knew that I would monitor him very carefully. They gave me some fibreplex if I wanted to use it, and he had been given a long acting pain relief. They thought he was stressed and unhappy and would be more likely to eat at home. I took a bowl of our garden grass with me when I went to pick him up, and he ate it immediately. He has eaten ravenously this last hour !

Oh Tasher I am SO sorry, I'll go and have a look at your thread now. :(

My news is much better. Mint (who has a run set up in the kitchen, with his carrying box, litter tray etc) has JUST done his first poo. He would not eat a thing at the vet, and had not pooed, but they said to bring him home anyway. They knew that I would monitor him very carefully. They gave me some fibreplex if I wanted to use it, and he had been given a long acting pain relief. They thought he was stressed and unhappy and would be more likely to eat at home. I took a bowl of our garden grass with me when I went to pick him up, and he ate it immediately. He has eaten ravenously this last hour !

Thats excellent news! well done mint :love: xxxxxxxxxx

oh good im glad mint is ok :thumb:
I knew that bailey would be a little off but nothing like he is, i have a feeling he is going to be a tummy bun :roll:

Thanks for your advice everyone, I have followed all that was said - however, he did not want to sit anywhere near his snuggle pad or vet bed, preferring the hard floor lol. He is pooing almost normally now, I am so pleased, he is such a resilient and healthy little bun and it seems he has got through this in excellent form. He isn't even licking ! To the experts - How long would you expect the wounds take to heal ?

Gracie got the all clear yesterday 8 days after the op.
Charlie however has a swollen left scrotum, he is absolutley fine its not sore and he isnt in pain and its not a major worry but if it hasnt cleared in 2 weeks they will probably drain it. :) xxxx

10 days for a full heal, as in ready to go back with other rabbits :) for a girl I would leave it 2 weeks. The wound might still look a bit prominient for a while afterwards because of fur shaving etc.

ETA, I know Mint's not a girl :) just thought I'd mention it

Last edited:
Thank you ladies. So....10 days before continuing the bonding process with Luna. I know this sounds wierd, but can they get both testicles out through one incision on one side ? (cos that is what I can see)

OK, 48 hours after surgery and he seems back to his usual form. Active, alert and eating/drinking well. The only thing is that one of the sacks seems puffed up as if it contains fluid - is this usual ? He isn't licking, the wound is clean and intact and I can't see evidence of infection at all - but it looks so puffed I wondered if this was the start of infection or to be expected ?

I don't remember any boys bits getting puffy, sorry I'm no help. :? I didn't want to read and run though!
It sounds good that he's so normal though, so I hope he's ok down below.

OK, 48 hours after surgery and he seems back to his usual form. Active, alert and eating/drinking well. The only thing is that one of the sacks seems puffed up as if it contains fluid - is this usual ? He isn't licking, the wound is clean and intact and I can't see evidence of infection at all - but it looks so puffed I wondered if this was the start of infection or to be expected ?

Yep my charlie was spayed 2nd june and his left scrotum is all full of liquid, apparently this is not unusual, ive been told he has to go back in 2 weeks if it hasnt reduced, then they will prob drain it.

Our vet said as long as its not red or dosent look inflammed its nothing serious to worry about :) xxxx

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. It definitely looks and feels like fluid and there is no indication of anything more sinister, so I'll follow what you are doing and return in a couple of weeks if no change.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. It definitely looks and feels like fluid and there is no indication of anything more sinister, so I'll follow what you are doing and return in a couple of weeks if no change.

Ive never had a boy bun before and it scared me to death, but the vet said when you remove something like a testicle it fills up with liquid, and as long as its not red, sore looking and inflammed leave it because it will shrink and drain itself.

Well you learn something new everyday!
Charlie`s scrotum is still big but i will take him back in the 2 weeks she suggested :) xxxxx

Back