• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to get my rabbit to eat

AmyB1004

New Kit
I have a 9 week old mini lion lop who was the runt of the litter so was already small. I have only had him a week but he does not eat or drink as much as I expected. He eats the food I was given from the breeder (rabbit royale) but he avoids the pellets I have mixed in and won’t eat any hay, Timothy or alfalfa. He drinks water but mainly if I pour some on the floor. He is also very skinny and is underweight for his age. Is there a way to encourage him to eat or should I take him to the vets?

I think taking him to the vets is a good idea. They should be able to advise once they have fully assessed your bun. If yo'ure new to rabbit keeping you might not be aware finding good rabbit vets can be tricky - try to find an exotics vet or one who is interested in and sees lots of rabbits.
Good luck

I have a 9 week old mini lion lop who was the runt of the litter so was already small. I have only had him a week but he does not eat or drink as much as I expected. He eats the food I was given from the breeder (rabbit royale) but he avoids the pellets I have mixed in and won’t eat any hay, Timothy or alfalfa. He drinks water but mainly if I pour some on the floor. He is also very skinny and is underweight for his age. Is there a way to encourage him to eat or should I take him to the vets?
He definitely needs to be seen by a Vet ASAP. Is his poo output OK? Any sign of ‘wet poo, soft poo, mucous in poo or diarrhoea is an emergency when the Rabbit is a baby.

You should not make any changes to his diet for at least another 2 weeks, but eventually it will be good to get him off a muesli mix and onto a pelleted feed. Muesli mix types of food are not a healthy choice for Rabbits. He might not have been provided with hay by the Breeder hence his reluctance to eat it. This will require rectifying as hay needs to form at least 80% of the diet.

If you give him water in a sipper bottle he might not know how to use it, so give it in a shallow bowl.

The gastrointestinal tract of a baby Rabbit is exceptionally delicate at 9 weeks and the kit being ‘skinny’ is a sign that all is not well, so consulting a Vet ASAP really is essential. Doing so will also give you the chance to discuss his vaccinations and neutering.

For reference the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund is a great source of information about Rabbit Care.

Thank you, I will take him to the vets.
He’s poo output is fine, no sign of unusual poo. Are there any tips to encourage him to eat hay? Is it too soon to give vegetables if I can’t change his food yet? I’m just conscious of his nutrients if he’s not eating the hay.

He’s poo output is fine, no sign of unusual poo. Are there any tips to encourage him to eat hay? Is it too soon to give vegetables if I can’t change his food yet? I’m just conscious of his nutrients if he’s not eating the hay.
I would personally not try to make any changes or introductions to his diet until you have seen a vet. He is still very young, has had the stress of separation from his mother and other litter mates and is also not eating satisfactorily the food he is having at the moment.

Once a vet has confirmed that there are no health issues, I would only then consider how to manage any changes. You could also confirm that he is gaining weight by weighing him regularly.

He's in a new environment away from Mum and his siblings. He is probably scared so be patient and as long as he eats the Rabbit Royale he will start to nibble the hay and then in time you can slowly change him over to pellets. No veg yet unless you know he was eating it when he was with his Mother and even then you would only give tiny bits.

Unless he was having veg when with his Mum then it’s best not to introduce them until he’s about 10-12 weeks. But for now don’t make any dietary changes at alL and get him seen by a Vet ASAP.

For future reference

Back