• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How soon to bond again? Glasgow area

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks

I've just posted on the Rainbow Bridge thread and am devastated over the loss of Floppy who was only recently bonded with Willow about 10 weeks ago.

Willow is left as an outdoor bun and I know there has to be a period of grief but how long should I wait before getting her a new husbun. I feel so guilty for thinking about 'replacing' Floppy ( which I can never do, loved him too much) but am anxious that she has never been alone before and it's a cold and chilly winter for a single bun.

are there any rescues or foster careers there in the Glasgow area who would have a neutered dwarf male lop ( has to be a lop as my son loves lops) around 1/2 years old as a suitable husbun for Willow.

what should I do about the hutch that she's in now. should I totally disinfect it with vinegar to get rid of Floppys scent or should I leave it to help her deal with Floppys loss. I don't want to make things any more traumatic than they are for her just now, wee soul.

just can't believe I am in this position as only 3 weeks ago Vet said Floppy had a heart as strong as an ox.

Binky free Flops.......
mummy xxx

Yes I would rebond her again asap as they weren't together for very long and as you say with winter approaching she needs company. The hutch will have to be cleaned out and vinegarred while she is being bonded, are you going to bond yourself or send her away? Good luck with her.

no, we hope that someone will bond her again for us.. I just can't believe she is herself this morning...

I have been out and she was sitting next to a teddy my son had put in the hutch for her. she also appears to be eating and pooing ok...... poor wee mite.

I have emailed Fairly Beloved again to ask If they have any available males that they would be willing to allow me to adopt.. fingers crossed as the weather again is closing in....

thanks
fee x

When I knew very little about rabbits and we lost one, we got another the same day from a local rescue. I did this more for my daughter who was little at the time and devastated.

The next time we waited a couple of weeks but Tommy was sooo depressed we went and got Twinkle.

Sadly Tommy although happy with Twink wanted his Bicci back and he joined her a few short weeks later.

So then we got Ozzie for Twinkle after a week having had to wait for him neutering.

Rescues offer great advice about how long to wait etc. I just couldnt bear seeing my lone bunny so for us it had to be quick. I was never bothered about colour, breed or size we just went with the bunny that our own bunny picked.

For me I have always somehow found that although I have been so upset at loosing my rabbit or cat that getting another quite quickly has helped me get over it. The excitement of finding a new pet and knowing you are helping a rescue animal find a loving home has always helped me. Its not that the old pet is forgotten, never, its just that for me this works.

I am sorry for your loss, its an awful feeling and wish you good luck with what ever you decide to do

thank you so much. I have that feeling that I am beings disrespectful to Floppy so soon but I need to consider Willow. As you say, it may be difficult to bond her again as she is a lovely, feisty, plucky wee girl. Floppy was just a laid back dude and they got on really really well...

Fingers crossed anyway and thanks again

Fee xx

Floppy wouldnt want Willow to be sad :) I moved rosey inside but that's because she was too poorly to be spayed otherwise I would have bonded right away!

moving inside isn't an option sadly as her toilet training is a total nightmare, she goes "everywhere"

I've been on the web searching... pets at home have rescue rabbits but I am so wary of them as I am not sure pets at home check them properly...

Would rather go to a proper rabbit rescue.. Cat and Dog home have bunnies but they don't bond so that's not an option. I really need someone to bond again for me...

PLEASE FOLKS... ANYONE IN GLASGOW AREA HAVE A MALE LOP WHO'S LOOKING FOR LURVE AND WILLING TO BOND FOR ME......?

update, advice needed...

fBRC have contacted me and have suggested bonding Willow with an existing pair...

hmmm, If the pair is a male and female and willow obviously a female, is there likely to be jealousy from the existing female? or would a current female/female bond work better...

oooh I would love to make a commitment but am unsure... just want Willow to be happy...

fee xxx

There will be a rescue on RU that will have a lovely male bunny wanting a loving home and wifey bun x

update, advice needed...

fBRC have contacted me and have suggested bonding Willow with an existing pair...

hmmm, If the pair is a male and female and willow obviously a female, is there likely to be jealousy from the existing female? or would a current female/female bond work better...

oooh I would love to make a commitment but am unsure... just want Willow to be happy...

fee xxx

Who is FBRC ?

Personally I wouldn't go down that road and anyway is the accommodation suitable for 3? You might be lucky but you might not and it's such an upheaval for the girl. Have you not got a spare hutch you can bond them in, when you find the right rabbit. We can talk you through it! I think a PAH rabbit would have to stay indoors anyway so that's out of the question. If your female is feisty try to get a male same size or a little big bigger.

WENDLE ------ FBRC - Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care - Glasgow rescue centre...

tonibun-----

I have a 7x5 shed with hutch and 2 runs.... when the weather permits, they can free range although not at the mo as garden is waterlogged....

I am just a bit anxious about the trio but I do know that should one rabbit pass on, there won't be the same pressure to find a partner. that said I don't want to put Willow through undue stress.. she is a plucky wee thing and very inquisitive. just full of youthful exuberance.... don't want her to feel overwhelmed. I am so unsure of the right way to go.....

fee xxx

WENDLE ------ FBRC - Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care - Glasgow rescue centre...

tonibun-----

I have a 7x5 shed with hutch and 2 runs.... when the weather permits, they can free range although not at the mo as garden is waterlogged....

I am just a bit anxious about the trio but I do know that should one rabbit pass on, there won't be the same pressure to find a partner. that said I don't want to put Willow through undue stress.. she is a plucky wee thing and very inquisitive. just full of youthful exuberance.... don't want her to feel overwhelmed. I am so unsure of the right way to go.....

fee xxx

Do FBRC do the bonding if they have a bunny for you :) my bunny was depressed and grieving back in march when her husbun died I wanted to keep her as a house bunny but I could see she wasn't happy on her own so I had her bonded at BARC and she's happy again now chasing her fella and licking his face to death :)

yes, they did it for Floppy and Willow and to be honest I was so relieved as I am terrified of bonding. I am hopeful they will be able to assist again...

Collielover on here did their bonding and she said it was one of the easiest.. she is a foster carer for FBRC.

I just need help to ensure it all goes well for Willow and the thought of a trio hadn't crossed my mind till it was suggested by FBRC. Makes sense but is a big commitment.

I would be more than willing to do a bond again for you and me personally would go with the pair as if something happens to one there's also another for the other to snuggle up too....you have more than enough room for three.....who does David think would be good for u.?.do you still have my number give us a call if u do

Hi Debbie.. nice to hear from you...

David and I have been communicating and have though that we go with bonded duo Frankie and Benny which may be an option. both are relatively young.

would you be ok to bond them for me if this is agreed..

I still can't believe this has happened. willow and Flops got on like a house on fire!

fee xx

Last edited:
Yeah tell David. I'm mooore thaan willing ttoo bond them again for. You jussst let us know wheen ......mork and mindy are lovely and have been in tthe rrescccue to long

thanks pal. it's appreciated.. I saw Mork and Mindy too but they were that wee bit older.... I preferred younger ones as she's only a baby herself....

fee xxx

Heehee, I think you and me have been at the Christmas wine!!!

would you be willing to bond Frankie/Benny and Willow should David agree?

fee x

Back