• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! How do we go on Hols? We now have 15 buns!

In the same situation which is why we haven't even had a night away in over three years. No chance of a holiday again for us I'm afraid. Well not for me that is as David wouldn't cope with our lot.

Even if I found anywhere I trusted and where the accommodation was good enough, I don't actually think I'd be able to relax. We went to the beach for the day on Thursday and I couldn't stop thinking about them all.

I do feel for you, but I guess when we took on our lot, we just accepted that holidays would be over.

Our only hope would be for a pet sitter too, but as all of our knowledgeable friends also have umpteen rabbits themselves they'd probably never be able to do it......Oh well.

Hope you find someone who can help.

Hello, my names Laura :wave:

date dependent i would have space to look after your collection, I also accept chickens if they come with their own coop, could even take tortoise.

:wave: there are a few of my boarders on here - check out my website xx

:wave: I am involved with ARC which is a small animal rescue within a short distance from you, we are often asked to recommend suitable holiday boarding to people who are adopting from us.

I have looked at your website, I can see that you have a variety of types and sizes of accomodation that you use. It is not clear in the pictures which animals you board in which type of hutches. Would you be able to clarify what size of hutches you use for rabbits and guinea pigs. Do you always use shavings in your hutches? On your website you mention you take in ferrets are these housed near the guinea pigs and rabbits?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hi,

I have always asked a neighbour to come and feed my rabbits. This was fine until the last time when she put my bonded 2 bun's in with my male .... luckily all was fine but it was a very arrggg moment when I found out!!! 2 of the bunnies were unneturered at the time so were living seperatly and she didn't understand my instructions (which was my fault as I didn't take the time to go through everything with her).

Now, we have the 'perfect' set up, all 4 are living together in the shed/run and all 4 have free run of the garden. Although we have another, bigger run that attaches to the set up so if my neighbour doesn't want to let them free range, they still can have lots of room inside the shed/2 runs. My neighbour is generally happy to let them out and round them up at the end of the day and ensure they have food, hay & water.

If the rabbits are generally healthly then I am sure that a friend/family/neighbour could come in and feed them for you. Just make sure you 'train' them beforehand (something i didn't do!) and ensure they know who is who etc. I am sure if one of the bunnies did get ill, they would spot it and call you/the vet.

I am not sure how far away I am from you, but if I am locallish then I wouldn't mind coming in and checking them all for you.

Hope that helps a little x

Thank you everyone for ideas - and also for those that posted to say they are in the same boat!! (that made me feel better!).

Alas relatives are in short supply - we are of the age that parents are either dead or very elderly and no brothers/sisters etc. etc.

I shall be in touch with some of you that said you might be able to help boarding etc. And the suggestion that someone might like a free holiday (in fact paid holiday!) in Cambridge was a great idea!!!!

I will post up when we have some dates.

We are in central Cambridge more or less (15 mins cycle to centre).

I can probably get paid time "off" from work by visiting nearby Peckover where you recently gave a talk...it would count as part of my training. ;) Let me know if I can be of any help.

Good luck getting your holiday anyway, you deserve it, it's a very awkward fact of owning pets that it's so hard to go away :(

Thanks cluttery drawer - will be in touch when have worked out possibilities!

How did you know I recently gave talk?

It's really difficult to go away when you have lots of bunnies - my 14are a bonded group and I did once try ringing boarding places and ask if they could take them as a group and most of them thought I was pulling their leg! :lol: We have a friend, who actually adopted one of our FF's, coming to house sit for us in November and she's bringing her bunnies :D she's also house sitting for Vickie this month - she should start a business!! :shock: :D

Thanks cluttery drawer - will be in touch when have worked out possibilities!

How did you know I recently gave talk?

My colleague is on the same National Trust apprencticeship as me...she phoned me the other day mentioning that she'd had an excellent talk from (your name) and I recognised it from books you'd mentioned here :)

I contacted my vets & there was a vet nurse willing to live in a couple of years ago. I use her every time now & she looks after my 15 buns plus 1 foster:D

I could probably manage once a day on my way home from work if you are really stuck :wave:. Couldn't offer more than that I'm afraid as I work full time and do voluntary work and fostering (animals). Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments, advise and offers - will get back to some of you when we have secured some dates!

I have a friend in Rugby who runs a small animal hotel, might be slightly nearer to you than Surrey. Again, date dependant she would have room for all your buns. PM me if you want details.

Back