• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grieving bunny?

My buck Shadow died last Sunday😢 leaving behind my doe Cookie. I got them as a pair and they are 7 months old.
Should I get a new rabbit for her? If so, what sex and what age? Do you think she’ll be ok on her own? They did live outside in a shed and play in a fenced garden, coming into the house only for an hour or so each day.
Since shadow died, Cookie had been living mainly in the house. She’s sleeping stretched out like a cat and is eating and drinking fine. Perhaps sleeping a little more than usual but in general seems happy. She did stamp her foot when we took her into the house from the garden this evening.
I’d probably prefer not to get another bun but neither do I want her to be sad.

All advice appreciated x

Rabbits really prefer the company of another rabbit. Is she vaccinated and neutered?

Assuming the sad loss of Shadow wasn't due to RHD or Myxomatosis (the diseases that rabbits need to be vaccinated against), I would definitely be looking at getting a new partner for Cookie soon.
Cookie is old enough to be neutered. If she hasn't already been done, then you need to leave at least 6 weeks after the operation for her to heal and her hormones to settle down. Then she can be bonded with another neutered bunny. A boy would probably be the best option and easier bond. Maybe look at local rescues, as they will probably have already been neutered.

Rabbits share so much with a partner. If she's living outside, another bunny is the best way to keep warm in winter.

I am sorry you and cookie lost shadow. The bondng with another bunny will be best after she gets spayed .

Rabbits really prefer the company of another rabbit. Is she vaccinated and neutered?

Assuming the sad loss of Shadow wasn't due to RHD or Myxomatosis (the diseases that rabbits need to be vaccinated against), I would definitely be looking at getting a new partner for Cookie soon.
Cookie is old enough to be neutered. If she hasn't already been done, then you need to leave at least 6 weeks after the operation for her to heal and her hormones to settle down. Then she can be bonded with another neutered bunny. A boy would probably be the best option and easier bond. Maybe look at local rescues, as they will probably have already been neutered.

Rabbits share so much with a partner. If she's living outside, another bunny is the best way to keep warm in winter.

I agree with the above

I am sorry for your loss. RIP Shadow :cry:

Thanks everyone. Cookie is neutered and vaccinated. I think I’ve managed to find a 12 week old buck that owner is willing to neuter ( once we pay) before we get him. Do you think the age gap will be ok? New rabbit will be 4 months and Cookie will be 9 months.
Thanks for all your messages of sympathy, Shadow was much loved by our family .

so sorry you lost Shadow.

i totally agree with Shimmer.
the times i have ended up with a single bun i thought things were ok but once i got the lone bun a friend i realised how much they need company.
unfortunately introducing a new bun can be difficult at first. be prepared for a long introduction/bonding process.
imo if you go ahead, get one from a rescue on the understanding that if things don't work out you can return him/her (and try again with another one).

Sorry to hear about the loss of your bun. As Cookie is so young still she would definitely benefit from the companionship of another bun as otherwise she is likely to be quite lonely and has a long life ahead of her. Bonding can be difficult - females are usually more territorial than males. I bonded a new male with my female and it was stressful but we got there! There are pages on here about bonding, alternatively some rescues can help if you approach them.

Back