• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you know your limits? - How many buns is too many?

Two for me too.

They have enough space and I can afford to feed them and provide for them if medical issues develop.

I would love to have more, but it just wouldn't be responsible for me at the moment.

6 is our limit. Or so I am told by my OH anyway! :lol:

No it really is. We can give our buns everything that they need, but with half of them having ongoing health issues of some kind then it really does mean that we are full to capacity in every way - financially, space wise, time spent with them, time mucking out, going to vets etc. And especially when we have health problems of our own. I know we can give our best to our 6 - and any more than that and we would be compromising one or several of the above.

So even though I am often tempted :oops: I do really know there is no way we can go over 6 bunnies. And I love our little family unit as it is :D Just wish I could help more buns in need but I couldnt give them what they deserve.

have 5 at the moment. At one time I had 9.... think I would say I could cope with 10 seperate rabbits at the most.

2 is my limit, for now.

I theoretically could have two more, in a big pen in my bedroom. I could make sacrifices in order to have the time and money to care for them.

But then Skye and Apache would only be able to free range in the living room, not over the whole house. I don't want to take that away from them. And as I rent, and move house a lot, keeping my numbers of pets low means I can be confident of never having to rehome any of them.

Just to add....I'm *not* criticising anyone who has multiple pairs in one house! This is just my choice. Probably cos I'm completely under Apache's thumb :lol:

I hope in future, when I've finished training and have a better pair job and a house with a bit more space, I could have 4 or 6.

One thing that always plays on my mind, is illness - 6 healthy buns are easy - but what if some are ill and need constant vet trips or hourly syringe feeding? It could get very difficult to fit round work (in my case, anyway). Am a bit of a pessimist re: bunny health :oops::oops:

Last edited:
I have three and that's my limit at the moment, although if/when they are bonded I think things will become much easier.

I have 4 and feel I am at my maximum. Not because 4 is a large number but I have another 16 animals that need my time ,the 2 horses need a great deal of time so I will not be taking on any more of any animal and dont think I will have this many again. I feel like all I do is clean animals which I dont mind but a break would be nice :lol:.

We have 4 and 1 foster bun. I could probably cope with another 1/2 foster buns if we had an emergency but 4 of my own is enough. At one point i had 5 and we coped fine, we could probably have more of our own but the heartbreak is too much when theyre poorly and when they leave us :( xx

2 was my limit, managed to push it to 3 and now I have 4...

It's hard enough being 15 and only earning money via a paper round to look after 4 so of course I wouldn't get more. I would pay anything to ensure my buns were healthy and of course my parents would help out if they were a problem *God forbid* but no more. One bun has dental problems and has to have his teeth burred every month which is costly and all my buns are up to date with vaccinations, £70 a time. :shock: Hard only earning £15 a week. ;)

Four is my maximum. I realistically think two. I want to be able to give them my love,time, attention as well as the necessities of space, health, diet and happiness.

Lola is so dependent on me, even though she is bonded to Max. She gets very jealous of me giving other bunnies attention and is very demanding.

I love all my bunnies very much, I just want them to get all the love and attention from me and daddy possible. The less bunnies the easier this is the accomplish.

well 3 was my set limet! a single older bun(crunchie) and 2 (yet to be paired) males rolo and Smartie

then i spotted Albert on his own and fell in love with him

and then along came Matilda! who was a runty so tiny compared to her litter mates!

then ofcourse the unexpected litter of 1

so now have 6!

plans to bond Rolo, Smartie, Albert have started! then they will live in a triple hutch! Crunchie is happy on his own, hopping round the garden with the dogs and cats!

And Matilda and Baby boy/girl will be indoor buns but will have outdoor times in the summer!

I ALWAYS make sure I have a spare hutch/cage just in case!! you never know what will turn up!!

At the moment I say I could have four. :)
I am happy to have ny three now though. I've got no plans to add to it but I'm currently bonding my three boys and if one of them doesn't bond with the other two then he can get a girlfriend ;)

2 was my maximum :roll: Then I had to rescue Max, which I wouldnt change for the world, it was fete that he found us. But now that he wont bond with Timmy and Mimi as planned, we have another on the way as soon as shes been spayed. So Im soon to have 4 :shock::shock::shock:

I can handle it financially and we have the room to make sure all 4 buns needs are met, and alot more. Emotionally I think I have room in my heart for 1 more, after I lost Tilly I thought I could never love another bunny like I loved her and Timmy, but Mimi and Max proved me wrong :love:

4 is my ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM though!!

Back