• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Confused about bonded rabbits

kayw1

Young Bun
Hi all,

I posted a message out of desparation a few weeks ago about bonding my house rabbit Tribbles and hutch rabbit Patch. After much nerves, I bit the bullet and out them in a big cage together (second attempt) and have successfully bonded them. They are currently in the living room which is neutral ground and get on really well, they snuggle and groom each and do not fight. I can even leave them in the cage and go to work and they are asleep next to each other when I return.

I thoroughly cleaned out the kitchen (Tribble's territory) like some of you suggested and am at the stage where I am ready to put them in. I have tried this twice now (one on the third day) and just which is a week since I first put them in a cage together. My question is they revert to their old behaviour. Patch is very tense and skittish and Tribbles goes up to him, when she does, Patch runs off and she ends up chasing him and pulling fur!!

I do not understand- I have disinfected everything. I do have a big kitchen though. Is this the issue? I want them to live free range in the kitchen. What do i do??

Can you put them in the cage together in the kitchen? Maybe try to move them in there gradually and just let the space they are in get a bit bigger each day if possible.

When I bonded my last two they were OK in the wendy house but when we put them outside in a run there was chasing again. It did settle down though.

Thank you for your suggestion. My boyfriend suggested putting the cage and all the rugs they have been on in the kitchen.

Did you just let your rabbits get on with it or did you separate them? Do you know what may be causing the chasing?

I always recommend slowly increasing a rabbits space after they are bonded. This is because when they are put in any new place they will need to sort out their territorial issues / dominance in this new area. By giving them an icnreased space many will chase and nip each other.

I would suggest increasing their space slowly.

Did you neutralise the kitchen with vinegar and water mix? if not she may smell herself and think of it as hers. However it is still a new bond and it may be that she's just asserting herself in the "new" territory. Dont separate them now,just let them sort it out themselves.

Back