• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning out and rabbit poo!

bundit

Warren Scout
Quick question. If rabbits eat their own poo, and it's the normal cycle of things, should you not clear up after them too much?

Rabbits are outside, I sweep all the poo up daily that is loose in their hutch and also 'refresh' litter tray (clear the wet, get most of the poo out).

I leave their straw/hay bed and change their bed weekly as it usually looks really fresh.

Should I not clear their poo so much as they'll not have anything to eat :?

Quick question. If rabbits eat their own poo, and it's the normal cycle of things, should you not clear up after them too much?

Rabbits are outside, I sweep all the poo up daily that is loose in their hutch and also 'refresh' litter tray (clear the wet, get most of the poo out).

I leave their straw/hay bed and change their bed weekly as it usually looks really fresh.

Should I not clear their poo so much as they'll not have anything to eat :?
Ah no they eat cecotrophes not the normal droppings! If you Google cecotrophes they look very different, and they normally eat them immediately so you often never see them :)

The normal dry, round poo that bunnies leave everywhere needs cleaning up - it is just waste material. The other ones look totally different and are eaten straight away - you shouldn't find any of those unless there is something not quite right. Cecals are squishier, smaller and more like small, plump (chocolate?) raisins.

At the moment, there is an increased risk of flystrike - so anything that may attract bluebottle type flies needs clearing at least daily, and that includes litter trays with urine in.
So you are doing the right thing.

Oh, I got that really wrong didn't I!! Glad I asked (again!). Thanks for your help everyone, I'll continue to clean up every day :)

Back