• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunterior design help?

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
I need some storage for bunny things, like hay and toys. Our house lacks useful corners to store things, so it basically has to go in the bun room.

The photo is what we have at the moment, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something we can replace it with that would offer more storage but still have functional bun space?

9ba3d4c1c03c73dad7b8d23f0b8e7988.jpg
2a23675d9d5f5538d5aff99f5702d8fd.jpg

Would the IVAR range from IKEA be something you like? https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/products/?q=ivar They come in various heights and depths, and you can buy extra shelves and hooks and drawers for them, so you can store a lot of things in different ways. They're made from untreated pine, too, so it's okay if the bunnies chew them. You can use the bottom shelf for the bunnies, to put a little bed or house on, or something else for them.

I was thinking Ikea. You can use your imagination with some items - turn them the other way up, miss off shelves / doors, etc. The Bargain Corner bit now does used items as well, so worth looking there for ideas and bargains.

Maybe a desk (bun space underneath) with one of the cube storage units on top. You can get all sorts of inserts for the cubes - boxes, doors, drawers, etc.

Would the IVAR range from IKEA be something you like? https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/products/?q=ivar They come in various heights and depths, and you can buy extra shelves and hooks and drawers for them, so you can store a lot of things in different ways. They're made from untreated pine, too, so it's okay if the bunnies chew them. You can use the bottom shelf for the bunnies, to put a little bed or house on, or something else for them.

This looks great, thank-you! I'll play around with it :)

I was thinking Ikea. You can use your imagination with some items - turn them the other way up, miss off shelves / doors, etc. The Bargain Corner bit now does used items as well, so worth looking there for ideas and bargains.

Maybe a desk (bun space underneath) with one of the cube storage units on top. You can get all sorts of inserts for the cubes - boxes, doors, drawers, etc.

That might be a good shout to be fair. I could put a shelf underneath to make split-level fun too!

I sense a trip to ikea in my future...

Bargain Corner is called something like Full Circle now :) Absolutely recommend that. I'd be putting decent shelves up, kitchen cupboard type things, that sort of stuff :) But the IVAR makes that really easy. Also check out Gumtree etc. for people getting rid of things that might work, we've had loads of PAX and KALLUX on Freecycle locally in the past 2-3mths!

I played around with Ivar, the ideal arrangement was about 5cm too wide. Still pretty tempted by it .

Found someone giving away a cheap IKEA desk on Friday, so I plumped for that. Already happier with the room, but I do need to do something to declutter the top of the desk! Update photos :)
ce39bbdf6519b64c4370ca330fc79eed.jpg
599f40347e4f226582ec9c1c48825c59.jpg

Looks great, and it’s the perfect size too :thumb: IKEA are great for boxes and cube shelves, even stuff meant for recycling and garden storage are great. The sortera stacking bins with flip fronts are good.

Looking good! There's so much fitted shelves can do as well, but a table is ALWAYS a good start :D You can always check out the sliding drawers and things as well, some of those fit other things in the range/DIY built stuff :thumb: Sliding deep drawers are in my kitchen's future, and maybe the garage :lol:

Something like Ikea Eket or Kallax cube units would go on top of the table and provide a lot of storage. Bookcases are also useful - a small, narrow one on the floor or a wider one on top of the desk. An Eket type cube unit may also fit between the radiator and desk. They would need to be fastened to the wall to stop them tipping - they usually have a webbing strap which fastens to the top of the unit and the wall, with a screw on each.

If you were local, I have a selection of bookcases and Ivar wine racks that needing rehoming from a house I am clearing.

Something like Ikea Eket or Kallax cube units would go on top of the table and provide a lot of storage. Bookcases are also useful - a small, narrow one on the floor or a wider one on top of the desk. An Eket type cube unit may also fit between the radiator and desk. They would need to be fastened to the wall to stop them tipping - they usually have a webbing strap which fastens to the top of the unit and the wall, with a screw on each.
MiniC, if you need any of those strap&screw attachments, I've got loads, they came with our Omars but we've assembled them double height (not unsafely! Each 3-tier unit comes with one XD) so have spares! I can pop them in the post.

Looks great, and it’s the perfect size too :thumb: IKEA are great for boxes and cube shelves, even stuff meant for recycling and garden storage are great. The sortera stacking bins with flip fronts are good.

Those stacking bins look pretty good! That might be a good shout for storing hay at floor level :)

Looking good! There's so much fitted shelves can do as well, but a table is ALWAYS a good start :D You can always check out the sliding drawers and things as well, some of those fit other things in the range/DIY built stuff :thumb: Sliding deep drawers are in my kitchen's future, and maybe the garage :lol:

I'm a little nervous about fitted shelves in that room! I put some up above my desk (other wall of the bun room) and they ripped right out the wall :shock: I think the plasterboard must have gotten wet when they were building the house or something. I'll still investigate some options :)

If you were local, I have a selection of bookcases and Ivar wine racks that needing rehoming from a house I am clearing.

I've picked up a little set of cube shelves from B&M, although I'm a bit nervous the table might not be strong enough. The topple bands are a great idea though, just in case the table did object :)

MiniC, if you need any of those strap&screw attachments, I've got loads, they came with our Omars but we've assembled them double height (not unsafely! Each 3-tier unit comes with one XD) so have spares! I can pop them in the post.

Thank-you, that's really kind! I think we also have quite a few that should technically be securing some chest of drawers :? I'll give you a shout if I've binned them :)

So I stumbled on these stackable storage boxes, and decided they would be perfect for what we need as they're lightweight enough I don't need to worry about the desk collapsing!

Still probably a bit of a strange background if I'm on a work call, but much tidier!

Thanks for the inspiration everyone :) I'm not very imaginative about these things, so the tips really helped me out!

Back