• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

BUNNY ROMANCE? - looking for a lovely bun girl

There are so many down sides to babies, I think people get a bit caught up in the cuteness and forget about the practical :)

Syphilis, an STD, no one ever thinks about animals getting STDs, it's not just that though all the other issues humans have around pregnancy can happen to. Obviously your chap is a boy, but for girls - there is the risk of death (pregnancy/birth care for rabbits is no where near as advanced as for humans) and still birth, which is not at all pleasant for the owner to clear up. Then if the mum has no milk you've got a half dozen babies that need feeding four times a day.

You can take two supposedly genetically/healthy rabbits and still end up with problems in the offspring. Even something as basic as what colour the babies end up can be important. Try rehoming red eyed - white rabbits - even at the cute baby stage which only lasts a few weeks. It can be nearly impossible and then you've a bunch of teenage rabbits that no one will pick over the the hundreds of babies available and you have to deal with separating the sexes, neutering and long-term care.

We speak to some many people that start out with good intentions and get into trouble :(

Why intentionally breed when theres literally thousands of rabbits young and old in rescues all over the land, and probably thousands more kept in less than perfect conditions because the owner is now bored of the cute little bunny who grew up in to something less cute because no time was spent with it.

I am sorry but, I would say neuter your gorgeous boy and get him a gorgeous permanent spayed wife to live happily ever after with.

I have always had rescued animals, cats, rabbits even the goldfish were rescued. Baby rabbits are gorgeous but they soon grow up. Theres no better feeling than a rescue animal arriving scared etc and watching it blossom into the wonderful pet it deserves to be.

I dont want to sound like I am having a dig at you, in an ideal world your ideas sound lovely, sadly it aint an ideal world, hence why rescues are full to bursting point.

Hi, just to add weight to the argument about not breeding any more rabbits, at the weekend a forum member helped get some rabbits out of a 'rescue' in Wakefield. 83 bunnies needed help. Many were back to back litters of babies so some as young as 2 weeks old and they had to be moved at that age (not good). Most if not all of the does are (or were) pregnant, so if we imagine a 50/50 split males to females that's another 40+ mums giving birth to on average 4-8 kits. - I can't even do the math to work out how many more babies that is. These bunnies had to travel far and wide just to find emergency rescue spaces.

Already yesterday one mum gave birth to 8 in a rescue in Yorkshire that has about 50 of the remaining bunnies needing rescue spaces so that poor lady really has got a massive task ahead to find rescue spaces, let alone the rescues then finding homes. Of our 5 that we took in, one mum has already given birth and we are expecting the other two does to quite possibly do the same any day now.

So please, don't add more bunnies to the world, it is simply ridiculous for anyone (not having a pop at you I really do mean anyone) knowing the facts to want to have litters when there are so many babies that may not even get off the starting blocks.

Helen

There are so many down sides to babies, I think people get a bit caught up in the cuteness and forget about the practical :)

Syphilis, an STD, no one ever thinks about animals getting STDs, it's not just that though all the other issues humans have around pregnancy can happen to. Obviously your chap is a boy, but for girls - there is the risk of death (pregnancy/birth care for rabbits is no where near as advanced as for humans) and still birth, which is not at all pleasant for the owner to clear up. Then if the mum has no milk you've got a half dozen babies that need feeding four times a day.

You can take two supposedly genetically/healthy rabbits and still end up with problems in the offspring. Even something as basic as what colour the babies end up can be important. Try rehoming red eyed - white rabbits - even at the cute baby stage which only lasts a few weeks. It can be nearly impossible and then you've a bunch of teenage rabbits that no one will pick over the the hundreds of babies available and you have to deal with separating the sexes, neutering and long-term care.

We speak to some many people that start out with good intentions and get into trouble :(

I have to admit, I was one of those people... I mean not the ones who focus on cuteness..I'm quite practical myself..raised dozens of hawks, deer, buns, etc... But the STD - well, it's a shame, but never knew :( But now I do, thanks to you guys :)
I am certainly grateful for all the info :)
(you know what? I dont know why people dun like red-eyed buns...there is nothing wrong with their character :( )

Why intentionally breed when theres literally thousands of rabbits young and old in rescues all over the land, and probably thousands more kept in less than perfect conditions because the owner is now bored of the cute little bunny who grew up in to something less cute because no time was spent with it.

I am sorry but, I would say neuter your gorgeous boy and get him a gorgeous permanent spayed wife to live happily ever after with.

I have always had rescued animals, cats, rabbits even the goldfish were rescued. Baby rabbits are gorgeous but they soon grow up. Theres no better feeling than a rescue animal arriving scared etc and watching it blossom into the wonderful pet it deserves to be.

I dont want to sound like I am having a dig at you, in an ideal world your ideas sound lovely, sadly it aint an ideal world, hence why rescues are full to bursting point.

No worries, you didn't sound like that. it is absolutely reasonable, and since I put the topic up, me and my fiancee decided to do so :) We are all about rescue pets :) My 2 newts are rescue XD I even had a rescue crab, too :D

Hi, just to add weight to the argument about not breeding any more rabbits, at the weekend a forum member helped get some rabbits out of a 'rescue' in Wakefield. 83 bunnies needed help. Many were back to back litters of babies so some as young as 2 weeks old and they had to be moved at that age (not good). Most if not all of the does are (or were) pregnant, so if we imagine a 50/50 split males to females that's another 40+ mums giving birth to on average 4-8 kits. - I can't even do the math to work out how many more babies that is. These bunnies had to travel far and wide just to find emergency rescue spaces.

Already yesterday one mum gave birth to 8 in a rescue in Yorkshire that has about 50 of the remaining bunnies needing rescue spaces so that poor lady really has got a massive task ahead to find rescue spaces, let alone the rescues then finding homes. Of our 5 that we took in, one mum has already given birth and we are expecting the other two does to quite possibly do the same any day now.

So please, don't add more bunnies to the world, it is simply ridiculous for anyone (not having a pop at you I really do mean anyone) knowing the facts to want to have litters when there are so many babies that may not even get off the starting blocks.

Helen

Hi Helen,
yes, it is absolutely reasonable... since we put the topic up here we learned that there are a whole lot of rescue buns out there, we were never aware of that :( It's sad really... You know, where we come from, bunnies are not widespread pets, so the few people who has one, sticks to it like it was their child... And now, it is a terrible thing to realize...:( But we decided to neuter our boy, and adopt a nice little mate for him :)

Hi Helen,
yes, it is absolutely reasonable... since we put the topic up here we learned that there are a whole lot of rescue buns out there, we were never aware of that :( It's sad really... You know, where we come from, bunnies are not widespread pets, so the few people who has one, sticks to it like it was their child... And now, it is a terrible thing to realize...:( But we decided to neuter our boy, and adopt a nice little mate for him :)

yay! :D Great result for your bunny and for the lady he ends up with

Great news :love: since my outdoor 2 have been bonded I have never seen them so happy :love: it's so nice to see them interact with their own kind :love:

Hi Helen,

You won't regret your decision: your boy will be so happy.
Once he is neutered and his hormones have had chance to settle, some rescues actually do the bonding for you.

[/B]

You won't regret your decision: your boy will be so happy.
Once he is neutered and his hormones have had chance to settle, some rescues actually do the bonding for you.

Hi Babsie,

Well, my boy is not neutered because we never had problems with his hormones, he is always a good boy, not aggressive, does not bite or try to hump things...:p But we do need to neuter him if we'll get a mate for him :)

I knwo we wont regret it, thanks! :D

Back