• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding rabbits

doorne76

New Kit
Hi there, I am new here but I have a question that I hope someone can help me out with. I have a neutered female and male rabbit that I successfully bonded several years ago never with any incidents. They were perfect together until a couple days ago, the female rejected the male. She started violently attacking him (and not the normal little love spats). I separated the two of them for the day and check that neither of them had any serious injuries. I figured if they calmed down I would reintroduce them and watch over them. After putting them together they were fine for about an hour and then again my doe rejected him. I separated them again and now my buck is depressed. He is eating, but he is not his normal inquisitive, happy self. He just sits in his cage barely moving around even with the door open he will not hop around. My doe is business as usually happy, hopping and inquisitive. I am an experienced rabbit owner and I have never had this happen before, I would appreciate and input as to what could be causing this and possible solutions. Thanks in advance for any help.

It's awful when they fall out, isn't it?
Can you think of any trigger for the fall out? Are there any other rabbits around? any new pets of any kind? new neighbours? had you petted someone else's pet and brought the scent back with you? had they been seperated for any reason before this?
I would probably get them both checked over by a vet, as it's possible your male is reluctant to move and not eating much because he is ill, and that's why she attacked him. It is also possible that she has some discomfort and is feeling grumpy because of it.
Rabbits can be affected by the change in seasons. 'Spring fever' is well known but I suspect they get a bit of 'Autumn fever' as well.
Once you have figured out the trigger, you may have to start again with the bonding, following all of the normal rules- neutral territory, neutralise scents on familar items by cleaning everthing with vinegar/water, etc.
I hope you get them sorted xx

I have nothing to add to lilbun's comments - as they are exactly what I would suggest.

I would think that either"
one of them is ill (poss the male)
one of them or both have scented another rabbit or another animal that is upsetting them
If you take them both to the vets then the drive there and back and the upset mght help them get back together again - especially once they both smell of 'vet'!

PS any bun not moving much should go to a vet asap anyway. If you wait till Monday he will have gone downhill greatly if he stops eating.

thanks for the help.....I took him to the vet he is fine. It is like he is depressed that she doesn't want to be around him. He was always smitten with her from the second we brought her home, he would groom her for hours on end and just love her up. She was bonded to him but never quite gave him the same amount of affection. I just chalked it up to different personalities. Nothing has changed at our house, nothing new, it is almost like she just said I don't want you anymore now move out (my husband thinks its so typical in a "divorce" SHE got the custom made bunny castle (aka the house) with the different levels, and he got the commercial bunny cage (aka the small apartment) after the split. We just feel so bad for him that she doesn't want him anymore, so we are both giving him a little extra loving these days and hopefully he gets out of his funk soon. I think your right I am going on holidays in three weeks when I get back I will try to start the bonding process all over again. Thanks again for the help if anyone else has ever had this happen before I would appreciate a story just to know I am not the only one. Cheers

It's great you got him checked out, but often bunnies know before humans have any idea, so I would keep a close eye on him. Equally on her, she might be a grump because she is feeling rough.

It's tough when they unbond, but hopefully with time they can be rebonded.

Good luck.

Back