• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding elderly bunny? - solitary her whole life

Hello just wanting some advice. I've looked through some bonding threads and though they are helpful, none seem specific to my situation.

I realise I'm going to sound like a pretty ordinary bunny owner but I have a 7 year old bunny Ginger that has never had a bunny friend. I only just recently got her speyed and am looking for advice regarding bonding.

The question is... what are the chances that you can bond an older bunny that has been alone her whole life? If so, what advice can you give me?

She has a history of snuffles but we've managed to get it under control with daily nebulising. My vet didn't seem to think that would be an issue - she was the one who suggested I get her a friend after her spey.

She has a fair bit of attitude but is definitely not as lively and agile these days.

If you think this would be possible.. should the other bunny be within say.. 2 years of her age? Less? More?

Thanks! I will be discussing this further with my vet too but was wanting to see what you guys thought first :)

From what I've read, age is no barrier to bonding. It's all about temperament and finding a friend she likes :D

It will either be just what she has always wanted or she will hate it, I would imagine if you could get a buck similar or close to her age that is likely to gel with her it might be easier, best of luck, she may well love it and have a lovely retirement with one of her own kind :love:

I'd give it a good try!
Why don't you go to a local rescue and take her bunny dating.
This way you can ensure she's loved up with her new man :wave:

I've bonded a nine year old fellow to an 8yr old lady rabbit last year. They fell in love instantly.

Pictured here

IMG_4580.jpg

I think the thing is that they are more likely to be quite unfussed and laid back - bit like us hoomins when we get older.

I am bonding a nine year old boy week after next - he's never been neutered and never had a friend. The lady took him from her neighbours and had him his snip so he can have a friend.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
It seems to me to be completely unpredictable how a rabbit might respond to being bonded. I too have a solitary elderly rabbit (6yr old boy, what a shame you live so far away!).
He has not lived alone his whole life but was bonded with a female. This 'bonding' involved 1.Putting male in with female 2.much love 3. four happy years together. When she, sadly, died we thought we would find him another friend expecting the same reaction. How wrong we were! He was very aggressive with all potential suitors.
I was going to give up but having seen him once so happy with a partner I am having one last try. I hasten to add that I am not doing the bonding myself. I just haven't the nerve for it. I feel a wreck just reading some of the threads on here and wonder how rabbits ever get it together often enough to be "at it like rabbits":D
The previous post shows you are never too old for love! Good luck.

Thanks for the responses! I'm glad to hear that age should be no barrier.

Your two are so cute The Duchess!! That gives me more confidence for sure.

I will definitely take her to some rescue centres for her to have 'play dates' first to see if she takes an interest in another bunny at all. If they offer to bond her for me that'd be great. If not I'll be using all of the advice in other bonding threads.

I really hope she can find the love of her life :love:

PS. let me know how you go with bonding that older boy bun The Duchess!!

Last edited:
guilty

I feel so guilty saying we have never had any trouble bonding...

Our first female was just so pleased to have a (neutered) male for companionship. She didn't seem to mind his occasional mountings - ignored him mainly :) And she loved the mutual grooming, and became instantly more relaxed in herself after we'd had her alone for a couple of years (we didn't know, back then).

When she eventually died, her sad widower felt equally glad to see a baby female bun. He was never troubled that, despite being supposedly dwarf lop she gew substantially bigger than him. They mutually groomed, snuggled close, played together and separately and were very happy until he died aged 9 last Nov. She, his widow, was just 5.

And so we collected her current partner, also aged 5, from a local rescue - he'd not long lost his lady-love too. They too bonded instantly, and are lovely gentle sedate buddies - not above nicking each other's food, but mutually grooming and snuggling for warmth on chilly nights.

Go for it. Rabbits in pairs repay your kindness in pairing them severalfold.

Bonding elderly bunnies

I have had similar experience in the past, when I bonded a 6 year old female with a 6 month old male rabbit. It proved very successful and I don't think age or size matters as long as you introduce them gradually. My most difficult bonding experience was with my other two rabbits, the female who had come from a rescue centre and who had unsuccessfully been introduced to other rabbits and the rescue centre had given up in the end as she was too aggressive. I decided to take her home with me and stuck with it, and after three months of putting them in a run regularly with a divider between them, I put them together and they are now best buddies!
I think the easiest way for introductions is to set up a run with a mesh panel between and let them see each other regularly until they seem at ease with each others company before letting them loose together. I am now in the process of introducing my 8 year old female rabbit to a new friend which is slightly more difficult with it being winter and the grass being wet and having to rely on putting them in a room indoors which is mutual territory in order to introduce them. I have used this method before, but find that there is more likely to be aggression than if you introduce them gradually in a run than this way, although felt I'd rather do it this way than keep them apart til Spring! Good luck!!

although age often isnt a factor, I would deffinatly put a more mature bun with an elderly bun, while ole buns still have lots of life and bounce I find they are a lot more laid back, than the "teenage" buns,

As others have said could work either way good or bad, a rescue if you can would be an idea, in case it doesnt work, unless you dont mind having 2 buns in seperate cages, for which you would be compeled to have another bun and so it continues, and there a few here that have done that :lol: and end up with 5,6 10.

Thanks again for everyone's advice :D

Another question - how long does it usually take for an older rabbits hormones to settle down after a spay? It would take longer than a younger bunny who has only just hit adolescence, right?

One source (rescue centre website) mentioned rabbits would be hormonal for weeks, even months following a spay. I haven't found any other sources to back this up.

Thanks again for everyone's advice :D

Another question - how long does it usually take for an older rabbits hormones to settle down after a spay? It would take longer than a younger bunny who has only just hit adolescence, right?

One source (rescue centre website) mentioned rabbits would be hormonal for weeks, even months following a spay. I haven't found any other sources to back this up.

I will let you know how we go - the 6 1/2 yr old was only neutered 2 weeks ago or thereabouts but her wound has healed very well and she is a very happy friendly, non hormonal lady it appears.

I would think it must be a bit like us lot, they have kinda lost interest a bit by middle age so having their bits off/out is probably a bit of a relief. Collecting the lady on Saturday from the rescue where she is being fostered so will keep you posted on the progress of this one.

Back