• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone had bun with myxi genitals survive?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Viola Rose has a lump on her nose and her eyes are sore - but what is most worrying is that she has swollen genitals - so I fear this is not nodular myxi -

But I am trying to get some idea of whether there is ANY hope - so I wondered if anyone had had a bun that had swollen genitals survive myxi?

She was vacc'd 7 nmonths ago - see other thread.

How long does anyone think it might be before I know whether or not she might pull through?

PS She is on the 'usual' preventative and painkilling drugs.

Viola Rose has a lump on her nose and her eyes are sore - but what is most worrying is that she has swollen genitals - so I fear this is not nodular myxi -

But I am trying to get some idea of whether there is ANY hope - so I wondered if anyone had had a bun that had swollen genitals survive myxi?

She was vacc'd 7 nmonths ago - see other thread.

How long does anyone think it might be before I know whether or not she might pull through?

PS She is on the 'usual' preventative and painkilling drugs.

I had a french lop ,Bella, she was vaccinated and got nodular myxi,her genitals were swollen too and she did get through it .

She had a hard time with the myxi though and lost lots of weight and had breathing troubles too during it .

Yes, I have had a bun with nodular myxi survive (genital swelling too). Very similar to full blown myxi (obviously not at severe though).

It was a struggle but we got through it. Polo is now at the bridge, but she has 9 months of being healthy and myxi free before she died. Oscar has myxi too, not as bad and he is fine now.

Here is Polo and Oscar's thread... it is a diary of how things progressed with them both.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=146764&highlight=polo+oscar

There is every chance that your bunny could pull through this. Polo, unfortunately probably never fully recovered from her myxi and developed renal failure 9 months after being given the all clear. This may or may not have been related to the myxi, I believe it was. As I say.... Oscar on the other hand is very healthy and has been for a year now with no health complications. He didnt have it as bad though.

There are many other stories on the forum of bunnies surviving myxi (if vaccinated). You need to give your bunny much care. I would also advice brining them inside if at all possible.

Have a read of the thread and PM me at any time if you would like some advice.

Back