• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any advice on trimming a long haired lionhead rabbit?

Callu

New Kit
I have a lionhead rabbit who is very fluffy all over. He needs brushing a few times a week as he matts easily. He shed a lot last month, but he still has plenty of fur around 3 inches long on his back (no lionhead 'skirt' on our boy, just long fluff everywhere). I trim his face regularly otherwise he wouldn't be able to see a thing. Now that the weather is getting much warmer I'm concerned that he will overheat in his long coat and have decided that I will trim him, at least a bit! I'm a bit nervous having never done this before. Any advice on how long to trim to, and whether to use pet clippers or scissors would be appreciated.

I would not clip him but increase the grooming to daily. Rabbits regulate their temperature via their ears. If his coat is extremely thick then you could thin it out using thinning scissors. But be extremely careful, Rabbits have very delicate skin which tears easily.

I never clip mine, just groom thoroughly weekly, or more if they are moulting. Matting needs attention by grooming from the skin level to stop it recurring. I use a double sided metal dog comb. I've never found a brush that will get anywhere near the base of the fur properly, and they are too big to access the armpit / trouser areas that mat the most.

If the weather gets really warm, you will have to make sure they hve plenty of shade and any hutch type accommodation doesn't get too warm.

Clippers don't work very well with fine fluffy fur as they are designed to work with hair rather than fluff.

It may be worth askig your vet what they recommend. Angora rabbits are regularly trimmed right down, so it may be worth finding an owners group to see what they recommend as well.

My lionhead male needs the fur between his eyes and ears shortened to see properly. If you need to trim more, put the comb between the skin and the scissors. Use blunt tip scissors to avoid injuring your bunny.

Back