• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ant powder

I am also concerned because the plants that we have grown for the bunnies are also on the patio what if some of the powder got on them?

The amount of ant powder that could have got on anything is too small to hurt the bunnies. They'll be fine. Just take a few deep breaths. I have used ant powder in teh same way and my rabbits are fine. You don't need to worry. :wave:

Thankyou again everyone.
In all honesty Jane, the responses are actually helping me, I just need to keep hearing that there is nothing to worry about. I love my babies so much and am so worried anything could happen to them.

This problem- My sister went in to the outhouse- the ant powder was put outside near the outhouse but the ants have started digging up in to the outhouse. So my Sister went in to the outhouse and then came in to our room and she rubbed up against our duvet, now I am panicing and thinking I need to wash the bedding in case it could have any traces of ant powder on it in case the ants had brought any through in to the outhouse or if the wind could have blown it through?

Thankyou again everyone.
In all honesty Jane, the responses are actually helping me, I just need to keep hearing that there is nothing to worry about. I love my babies so much and am so worried anything could happen to them.

This problem- My sister went in to the outhouse- the ant powder was put outside near the outhouse but the ants have started digging up in to the outhouse. So my Sister went in to the outhouse and then came in to our room and she rubbed up against our duvet, now I am panicing and thinking I need to wash the bedding in case it could have any traces of ant powder on it in case the ants had brought any through in to the outhouse or if the wind could have blown it through?

No you don't.

The ant powder is so minimal single particles or even several particles are not going to harm them.

They would need to ingest large amounts for it to even upset them - which isn't going to happen, so theres no need to worry.

Logic remember. You have it, you can use it, i know you can.

No you don't.

The ant powder is so minimal single particles or even several particles are not going to harm them.

They would need to ingest large amounts for it to even upset them - which isn't going to happen, so theres no need to worry.

Logic remember. You have it, you can use it, i know you can.

Are you sure Gray? I am really trying hard to listen to what is being said and resist the urge to wash the bedding but it is hard :(

Are you sure Gray? I am really trying hard to listen to what is being said and resist the urge to wash the bedding but it is hard :(

Yes.

You were happy with the last lot of replies about the same thing Rachael. Thsi is exactly the same. So logic implies that the answer is the same.

You know it makes sense.

I know you think our replies are helping Rach but the truth is they are just perpetuating your illness. I used to suffer from an OCD. disorder and one of the rules of my treatment through CBT was to tell everyone not to give me the reassurance as it just feeds the OCD. Jane is right. You really need to get professional help because we can not help you. xx

I know you think our replies are helping Rach but the truth is they are just perpetuating your illness. I used to suffer from an OCD. disorder and one of the rules of my treatment through CBT was to tell everyone not to give me the reassurance as it just feeds the OCD. Jane is right. You really need to get professional help because we can not help you. xx

It has been agreed that CBT is not the right treatment for me currently, I am back on the waiting list which should be around 5 months and they feel that when the baby is born and my medication is properly sorted out that I will be in a better place due to my hormones not making things worse and the medication doing what it is supposed to.
So in all honesty I need the help in reasurance form at this juncture as that is all that is avaliable to me now. Without the help from you guys on here I really dont know where I would be to be honest!

It has been agreed that CBT is not the right treatment for me currently, I am back on the waiting list which should be around 5 months and they feel that when the baby is born and my medication is properly sorted out that I will be in a better place due to my hormones not making things worse and the medication doing what it is supposed to.
So in all honesty I need the help in reasurance form at this juncture as that is all that is avaliable to me now. Without the help from you guys on here I really dont know where I would be to be honest!

Well I've said it before but I think that whoever told you that is wrong. It is the most effective treatment alongside medicational support but only in the right hands. YOU also really have to want to do it. I'd have thought getting some control before the baby is born would be your health team's priority personally.

Well I've said it before but I think that whoever told you that is wrong. It is the most effective treatment alongside medicational support but only in the right hands. YOU also really have to want to do it. I'd have thought getting some control before the baby is born would be your health team's priority personally.

To be honest I think their main priority is to get me stable before the baby is born, which thanks to my breakdown in March is making it quite a long drawn out process.

To be honest I think their main priority is to get me stable before the baby is born, which thanks to my breakdown in March is making it quite a long drawn out process.

Then why can't they do some emergency CBT sessions to help you stabilise now? All it would take is for an experienced CBT therapist to talk you through some of your anxieties now and help you rationalise them, not a quick fix, but some stabilisation techniques to hold you through this period? I suppose that is what I am thinking and wondering why it hasn't happened. Otherwise I am concerned how you will cope when your baby arrives and belive me it is hard hard exhausting work. Anyway, I hope things get better for you soon x

Then why can't they do some emergency CBT sessions to help you stabilise now? All it would take is for an experienced CBT therapist to talk you through some of your anxieties now and help you rationalise them, not a quick fix, but some stabilisation techniques to hold you through this period? I suppose that is what I am thinking and wondering why it hasn't happened. Otherwise I am concerned how you will cope when your baby arrives and belive me it is hard hard exhausting work. Anyway, I hope things get better for you soon x

You know what the NHS is like! :roll: :evil: It took them 2 months for me to even see a psychiatrist and get back on to my medication once I had had a breakdown even though I was still on their system and supposed to be under close monitoring due to my mh history.

I do have to agree with this im afraid.

I've been worried for you and your family for what its going to be like when baby arrives, if you are like this about your buns, what are you going to be like about a baby? :(

I do have to agree with this im afraid.

I've been worried for you and your family for what its going to be like when baby arrives, if you are like this about your buns, what are you going to be like about a baby? :(

I know and it does worry me too, but at the moment I can not do anymore than I am, I can not take any more medication or even take the one medication which I know helps with the OCD because it is not safe for the baby so as soon as baby 'pop's out I will be popping the pills that help and hopefully it will ease some of the symtoms.

Okay well your mum put it on the ground and didn't shake it in the air as that is not how you apply it so it is VERY unlikely it could possibly have blown on to her clothes as i'm sure your mum is a very careful lady.

Most ant powders are neurotoxins SPECIFICALLY developed for INSECTS and therefore will NOT HAVE THE SAME EFFECTS ON MAMMALS. Ants are teeny tiny and need a substantial amount to affect them. Just think about how big your bunnies are in comparison - and therefore even if some powder got in your bag it would NO WHERE NEAR BE ENOUGH to cause ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH YOUR BUNNIES. Just make sure they don't go hopping around on the same spots your mum has treated until there has been some rain.

For future ant treatmen perhaps you could ask your mum to use this stuff called DE - Diatomaceous Earth. It is made from crushed seashells (Diatoms) and works by physical action not chemical (like all other ant powders). It is TOTALLY safe around kids and pets and can even be put on larger animals fur coats to reduce ticks/lice so is very safe. :)

Apparently D.E is so safe that they can eat it!! I called the manufacturer and she said that it would actually do them good if they ate it as it would make their coasts lovely, she said it can be put in to animals feed and can be put on their coats too.

Apparently D.E is so safe that they can eat it!! I called the manufacturer and she said that it would actually do them good if they ate it as it would make their coasts lovely, she said it can be put in to animals feed and can be put on their coats too.

Yes diatom earth is a brilliant product, I used to use it on my hens for red mite and add it to their food as a natural wormer, its safe for all mammals and birds :thumb:

Back