• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advantage orange on rabbits?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
with the hassle going on right now and terrible weather getting across to the vets isnt an option right now. I have found flea grit in my bed..just a little bit off my kitty who never goes outside but came to us flea infested..ive never seen a flea on the furniture or had one on my leg since flea tre a ting them seevral times.i hoover and have used my steam cleaner to kill larvae and eggs ( something the chemical sprays cant do!)
the buns are itching liekmad but no flea poo intheir fur..any of them..no fleas either..no sign of mites or lice but berties getting a bald patch on his neck.

i habve ordered some advantage orange as its way cheaper than th eone a t the vets!! itss till same ingredients etc..but it can be purchased without a prescription as can REVOLUTION..i know someone on here said they use revolutionon their cats and rabbits..i use advantage but was wondering if its not as effective a sit could be..seeing as they dont go out but i do have feline pals inthe neighbourhood who i cant ressit petting..im asoftie! maybe its me who brings the blighters in!
anyone come across advantage orange? its the same sizing guide as the advantage from the vets too.
http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/index.php?cPath=2_214_12

i am usinmg advantage on both kittys and all 3 bunsters..obviously bif having the smaller dose and willow now up to berties exra sized dose!!
i think monthly treatments is the way forward for this lot..until ive outsourced the fleas wherever teyre hiding!

Don't know the answer to the Advantage Q, sorry.

But I do know from bitter experience that it can take about a year to clear your house of fleas. The eggs can lie dormant until something triggers them to hatch.

I'm afraid that I'm cynical about the effectiveness of steam cleaners...all they do is provide a nice warm, damp environment for the fleas.

If it's a small infestation you should hoover regularly and throw away the hoover bag immediately (or squirt flea spray up hoover nozzle). Spray the worst areas in your house. Wash pet bedding daily. Flea treat ALL pets regularly. And flea comb daily (especially around the head area).

If it's a large infestation you're better off phoning the council Pest Control Dept, who will treat the whole house for a very reasonable amount of money. They usually ask that you don't hoover for a month so the chemical can do it's magic. If the flean problem persists, they usually treat again for free!

noo fleas to be sen or jump onus even..and belive you me i am the first port of call for a fleas dinner..
the steam is so hot it actually kills of the eggs..soemthing which the chemicals cannot do as they cannot successfully penetrate the thick walls of the egg!

no sign of lfeas anywhere and i have a cylonic vaccum with a dustbag free collection..no not a dyson..a typhoon and its great!

I am countingup the pennies saved from vets..i can get six vials of the stuff for almost the same as 4 vials fromthe vets! with 3 buns and 2 kitties..two of which are the bigger sixe
it means one six pack for the kitties n bif...and one 4 pack for the big buns for 2 months! toatal cost about £35...i get charged anything from £15 to £18 locally for the small 4 pack!!:shock:

Back