• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Sizes (split from focus campaign)

those rescues that allow the public to visit just for a nice day out QUOTE]

:shock: where are these rescues? I wanna go!!

Wood Green in Godmanchester in Cambs and Heydon in Hertfordshire. I volunteer at the Godmanchester 1, it's really good, come along and have a look :wave: . Lots of people just come for a day out and there is normally some sort of event at the weekend. There is an animal fun day on Sunday June 14th at Godmanchester if you have any kids/some in your family if not it's great for adults too.

I'm inclined to agree that it's the overall space that counts - the runs are clearly weatherproof so the buns have plenty of space to more around. It's not ideal, but at the end of the day its not forever. Any bun is better off safe, clean, fed and watered than beinging neglected by someone who no longer wants it and I think this set up fits the purpose.

As Spider explained the issue is that these small hutches are being sold to people without the proper knowledge that causes problems - they do not attach runs and rarely let them out etc etc.

We all use this forum because we love bunnys and its sad that this is probably another thread that will be closed because some members cannot show each other the same compasion they clearly have for animals. I am even more shocked by Jane's post that someone reported her to the RSPCA - there are plenty of people on here who are much better off after the great advice she has given people and that alone shows her passion and knowledge for bunnys.

Thats not to say people aren't entitled to their opinions I just think perhaps constructive critisism in a nice manner would go much further to help than a full scale row.

Definitely!!

However, this thread was originally started for a good reason, and I think it should either get back to that or be locked.

Can you please stop back seat moderating, you've done throughout the whole thread and it's getting a little irksome now.

I give in, really I do. I am now being talked about as though I have deliberately gone out to 'bring' a rescue down and people are getting very dramatic in talking about the forum closing down. Come on please guys. I have stated my opinion and I'm not going to keep rehashing it.

I can see that sometimes 4ft hutches that have been donated can be used in an emergency, but I just just pretty shocked that someone would go out to buy them and then praise their use in a thread against them.

I think it should be said that 4ft hutches can not be used alone, whether in rescue or not, as this too small a space, but if there is an attached run and the overall space is large, then this is fine.

I think it should be said that 4ft hutches can not be used alone, whether in rescue or not, as this too small a space, but if there is an attached run and the overall space is large, then this is fine.

This may shock you... but i agree with you here.

Im back here again and alot calmer today so my post may come across better. The point i was trying to make is i dont agree with a rabbit being shut in a 4ft hutch. If they have a permantly attached run which they have access to 24/7 so they are able to periscope etc then fair do's. I do not agree to a rabbit being shut in a 4ft hutch.

Now when people go into focus are you guys honestly telling me you believe they will go out and attach a run to their hutches?? :? That is totally unrealistic. Why do the animals end up with us fosters/rescues in the first place :?

Ive had so many foster bunnies bought to me along with their 4ft hutch (which have all gone down the dump may i add) and they have been put into 6ft hutches with runs. At the end of the day we wouldnt rehome to someone even with a 4ft hutch and attached run, i have homechecked for other rescues on here who havent commented on this thread and this was also their rehoming policy :?

Liz you rehomed from me with Fidget, he had a 6ft hutch and run whilst with me. You also rehomed from our rspca branch and everybun here gets a 6ft hutch whilst here :) You obviously havent visited us... yet :lol: xXx

I dont think anyone thinks that you deliberately went out to bring down a rescue :? Well i didnt think that at all. I know its your opinion - but i think at the end of the day - i cant understand your way of thinking on this - and you cant understand mine.
If campaigning stops bunnies being stuck in 4 foot hutches alone then i'll be over the moon.

I would just step in to say that as long as the rabbits are healthy, happy, and comfortable, there is no problem with the set-up. If they have the space, 24/7 to run around, eat, lay out completely, snuggle, etc... I think they're doing just fine.

Before I knew anything about rabbits, I had my first rabbit, Jack, in a 3' x 1' cage. It was tall enough for him to periscope, but his ears stuck out the top. I let him out of the cage whenever I was home, without fail. He never showed signs of any distress, was very happy, flopped out, etc. Not that I would recommend that set-up to anybody, but I don't think it would be worth this much arguing. I didn't have him in a toaster oven. I had him in a smaller than recommended cage.

I'm not trying to backseat moderate, but I just think you guys should ask yourselves if it is worth damaging the valuable relationships we have here on RU over these rabbits, who are probably quite content with their set-up, and not suffering.

(NOTE: Once again, I would NEVER put a rabbit in that cage again, now being an educated bunny owner, and I would NEVER suggest that set-up to anyone. Just a point to show that a smaller cage doesn't *always* mean cruelty. It just possibly means a less than ideal situation.)

Liz you rehomed from me with Fidget, he had a 6ft hutch and run whilst with me. You also rehomed from our rspca branch and everybun here gets a 6ft hutch whilst here :) You obviously havent visited us... yet :lol: xXx

Steve collected Lottie and Lola directly from a fosterer and I stick by my origianl post :)

ETA Just to make it clear again, as far as I am concerned this doesn't mean that any rescue that uses smaller than a 6ft hutch is wrong, I am supporting the great work that rescues do

Last edited:
i can't believe this is still being argued over.

I think i am right in saying..... [i hope i am anyway :?]

Everyone agrees that a 4ft hutch ON ITS OWN is too small for a bunny,

however a 4ft hutch with a run or enclosed area for the bunnies is ok? [as in rescues etc] so if we are all agreed on this please can someone explain why we are still disagreeing over this.... or have i missed something.

Lots of people got heated last night but this is a new day and people are thinking more clearly. Must agree with Lucy on her point about people going OTT and saying the forum will close.... this is a discussion board and the worst that i have ever known to happen is to have POSTS locked or maybe someone get a telling off so to speak.

Anyway are we all agreed on the hutch thing or not and if not what is the arguement now?? :roll::roll:

I'm not trying to backseat moderate, but I just think you guys should ask yourselves if it is worth damaging the valuable relationships we have here on RU over these rabbits, who are probably quite content with their set-up, and not suffering.

(NOTE: Once again, I would NEVER put a rabbit in that cage again, now being an educated bunny owner, and I would NEVER suggest that set-up to anyone. Just a point to show that a smaller cage doesn't *always* mean cruelty. It just possibly means a less than ideal situation.)

I am not sure what relationships are suppoed to be being damaged here? I didn't realise we couldn't have an opinion without allegedly damaging relationships, closing the forum down or any other life changing disasters.

I think people are taking this all a bit too far now. I was raising the issue at being shocked that a rescue would buy 4ft hutches and it turned into this.

however a 4ft hutch with a run or enclosed area for the bunnies is ok? [as in rescues etc] so if we are all agreed on this please can someone explain why we are still disagreeing over this.... or have i missed something.

Lots of people got heated last night but this is a new day and people are thinking more clearly. Must agree with Lucy on her point about people going OTT and saying the forum will close.... this is a discussion board and the worst that i have ever known to happen is to have POSTS locked or maybe someone get a telling off so to speak.

Anyway are we all agreed on the hutch thing or not and if not what is the arguement now?? :roll::roll:

See i find this funny. I thought everyone seemed to be much calmer and explaining their points very well - on all sides. If people want to continue discussing it i dont see the harm - no one is being nasty and everyone is conducting themselves in an appropriate manner :? Unless ive missed something :?

Now when people go into focus are you guys honestly telling me you believe they will go out and attach a run to their hutches?? :? That is totally unrealistic. Why do the animals end up with us fosters/rescues in the first place :?

No i dont believe the vast majority will go and attach a run to their hutches i do agree with you there. Not even sure if you can read this as i may be on ignore :lol:
Strangely enough i agree with what you have said here on the majority.

See i find this funny. I thought everyone seemed to be much calmer and explaining their points very well - on all sides. If people want to continue discussing it i dont see the harm - no one is being nasty and everyone is conducting themselves in an appropriate manner :? Unless ive missed something :?

no i agree :lol: all i mean is i think everyone is saying the same thing now [well more or less :lol:] they just say it in different ways... I think it is much better today.... so as my question isn't answered yet. does everyone agree that 4ft hutch on its own is too small BUT with a run is ok.... curious thats all :lol:

I didnt think we were arguing :? :roll:

At the end of the day this is a public forum, people will agree and disagree on things, thats life, we are only human :?

Im not going to change what i put, because i do think what i said was correct :? But again that is MY opinion :)

Right everyone is in agreement now, shall we all hold hands and have a special moment :D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ok people...i think EVERYONE needs to calm down now. This post has got way out of hand...:evil:

Everyone on this site cares about rabbits right? And everyone wants the best for them? So im sure we'd all agree that GENERALLY a 4ft cage is WAY to small for a bunny to live in! I agree that pet shops and other shops such as Focus shouldnt be allowed to sell this type of cage, as people who dont really know about rabbits will buy them thinking its suitable.

HOWEVER...as some people have pointed out, some of you are missing the point that this rescue doesnt use the cages on their own, they are permanently attatched to the run which they have access to at all times. As Tamsin has pointed out, her cage is actually smaller than the rescues, does that mean shes awful, and should be reported to the rspca? NO, as her buns have a pen too. It is the whole area that needs to be thought about, as some people on this thread have realised.

I think some people are being a bit hot headed here, they see "4ft cage" and jump to conclusions. Aslong as they are attatched to the pen then the living area is not 4ft at all!

Are some of you saying that youd rather a neglected bun be stuck in a 3 or 4ft cage at the owners house, with no access to a run, possibly no attention, bad living conditions with poor diet/no hay, than be sent to a rescue like this where they get food, hay, water, attention, healthcare and a 4ft cage WITH an attacthed run?

In an ideal world, yes, the cages and pens would be bigger, but you have to be realistic, how many buns out there, even those that are otherwise looked after regarding food, attention and healthcare, are still stuck in maybe 5ft cages for most of the day? Is that any better than the rescue?

There is no need for personal attacks, i mean from BOTH sides, many of you have had your point, and you're never going to agree so why not just leave it? I personally am not going to post on this thread again as iv said what i wanted to, and i hope you'll all realise this is not getting you anywhere, this forum is to help, not to create arguements and make people feel attacked. Sorry if iv offended anyone, but iv tried not to personalise it, this isnt aimed at anyone one individual, but all of you who are making it personal (not those just saying their point and leaving it!)

Back