• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit bite?????

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi my next door neighbour as just knocked and a couple of weeks ago a couple of his bunnys had a scuff but this resulted in one of the rabbits getting a bit on his side :(

aparently he took it to the vets and the vet said it looks fine and is healing well..

his question is the scab is now peeling of at the edges and wondered if there is anything he should do as he doesnt know if the bun could catch it and do more damage? what would you suggest?

the vet only told him to bath it in salt water twice a day! and his mum asked if this could result in an absis(ps?) but the the vet said he doubts it because it looks like it is healing well, i am not sure as i have no experience with bunny bites so also wondered what your opinion was on that statement!

thanks Eve x

Hi,

Yes scabs have a bad tendency to hide abcesses under them. When mine had a wound i was told by the vet to take the scab off and keep bathing with salt water until it heals and keep taking the scab off if you can. You will find that it gets soft with the bathing.

If in doubt take it back to the vets!!!! I cured the abcess but I think I was too late as he died later of a paralasis which I'm sure was a direct reult of the abcess poison travelling into his blood stream, i could never be sure and it was a long time ago but if the vet had told be to use the salt water it may have never happened. You live and learn! I'm paranoid about them now!

Maureen

MoBunny said:
Hi,

Yes scabs have a bad tendency to hide abcesses under them. When mine had a wound i was told by the vet to take the scab off and keep bathing with salt water until it heals and keep taking the scab off if you can. You will find that it gets soft with the bathing.

If in doubt take it back to the vets!!!! I cured the abcess but I think I was too late as he died later of a paralasis which I'm sure was a direct reult of the abcess poison travelling into his blood stream, i could never be sure and it was a long time ago but if the vet had told be to use the salt water it may have never happened. You live and learn! I'm paranoid about them now!

Maureen

thanks maureen

Hi,

No I don't think they do, with good cleaning and a vet check I'm sure there is a pretty good chance that it will remain clear.

Hope all goes well, mine got scratched by a fox through the wire, I didn't realise he was deaf and with just a scratch as he was a sleep againt the wire it lead to a long battle and a bad outcome.

My friend rabit got scratched by an thorne and was also put on anti biotics but he was also not told about using salt water and after one week when the anti biotics had stopped guess what? An Abcess appeared, followed by weeks of scab picking and salt water bathing, and more medication it finally cleared up.

hope the bunny is ok

Maureen

perhaps it was a love bite Eve :lol: :lol:

there is a cream made by Johnsons call tea tree skin cream that might help :wink: I got mine from a rabbit show and it contains tea tree, lavender and aloe vera oil and it soothes and calms minor skin irritations :wink: :D persumably you can get it from petshops as being as the maker is johnsons :wink:

Denny said:
perhaps it was a love bite Eve :lol: :lol:

there is a cream made by Johnsons call tea tree skin cream that might help :wink: I got mine from a rabbit show and it contains tea tree, lavender and aloe vera oil and it soothes and calms minor skin irritations :wink: :D persumably you can get it from petshops as being as the maker is johnsons :wink:

thanks denny i wil;l have to tell them but from the size of the scab it was no love bite! :shock:

Back