• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

6ft x 3ft hutch on top of a 9ft x 4.5ft run (lots of photos)

Stator

Warren Veteran
Here are some photos of the latest hutch and run project I built to fit in a space of a particular shape. I hope this can be useful for anyone looking for ideas:

This gives a good view of the whole thing
1hutchandrun.jpg

This shows well how the hutch sits on top of the run. The run is fully enclosed with roof panels across the whole thing and the hutch sits on top of the roof panels. The left most roof panel has the mesh missing from half of it to allow the ramp down into the run
2runleftside.jpg

This shows the right hand side which is all made of aviary style panels
3runrightside.jpg

The door is just another panel 3ft x 3ft hinged onto the mesh-less half of the 6ft x 3ft panel with Padbolts to keep it closed.
4rundoor.jpg

This is inside the run where the ramp goes down from the hutch into the run onto a platform made from decking squares.
5runinside.jpg

There is a further ramp from the decking to the floor
6runinside2.jpg

You can just see the supports for the back of the hutch. The roof panels have an extra piece of timber 3ft from the front and there are two stilts going from the roof to the floor to support the weight of the hutch and stop it from bending the roof panels
7runbehind.jpg

These is one of the side panels that I put on the wrong way around. The extra support beam was supposed to be where the hutch ends :roll:
8runside.jpg

And now meet the residents, patch
8patchinside.jpg

and skippy (very hard to see, she's all brown):
9skippyinside.jpg

Total cost somewhere £300.

I posted some photos of the inside of the hutch here:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showpost.php?p=4042539&postcount=9

ps the plywood at the bottom of the run panels is to block off the view of the other rabbits and prevent referred aggression. There is still mesh underneath the plywood keeping it secure.

Last edited:
WOW!! :shock: It's amazing! :D Your rabbits are so lucky and they have so much room. :thumb: Great idea making a little platform out of decking squares. :) Patch is lovely but I can't see the picture of Skippy? ;)

WOW!! :shock: It's amazing! :D Your rabbits are so lucky and they have so much room. :thumb: Great idea making a little platform out of decking squares. :) Patch is lovely but I can't see the picture of Skippy? ;)

She is just coming out of the 'dark' room, you can see her if you squint close enough :lol: It doesn't help that she has wild colourings and is very hard to see in the dark. Look in the dead center of the photo :) She is still very shy as it's a totally new area for her whereas patch lived in the same place just in a different hutch.

That looks really cool!! What lucky bunnies!!

I like the really sturdy bolts you have, we have bolts but they are not as sturdy as that and I have just asked the OH for an upgrade based on your pics, so thank you for that.

I like the decking platform too! It all looks very sturdy for them!

She is just coming out of the 'dark' room, you can see her if you squint close enough :lol: It doesn't help that she has wild colourings and is very hard to see in the dark. Look in the dead center of the photo :) She is still very shy as it's a totally new area for her whereas patch lived in the same place just in a different hutch.

Oh yes I see her now! :D Sorry I thought you'd accidently posted the wrong picture :lol: She's really cute. :love:

Back