• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post on behalf of someone: how to gain back wt. after a lung infection

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Post this on behalf of someone else local:

a person found a stray bun near the pond when the bun is at the age of 1, now 5 yr. old. Saw the bun in that wild area for over 1 mth., and decide to save her.

Then last yr., She was very sick with a lung infection, the same bacteria also caused bladder infection. it took months to fight the infection and 4 different antibiotics. But she lost a lot of weight and has some GI issues from all the medicine she had to take.

The vet could not even examine her, she was open mouth breathing and hyper ventilating. The Dr quickly gave her medicine to claim her down said she was in a lot of pain. The lung infection was very bad, you could see it on the x-ray.

The vet said in her 30 yr. of practice, it's rare a bun fully recovered from this. She is fully cured now

When I pet her, you can feel all the bones in her back. She just can't seem to gain her weight back since she was sick. I have her on the oxbow regular adult food pellets and free feed now cuz she's way too skinny.

The above is the conversation I have w/ another caring rabbit owner. The question is, now that the bun is fully cured, how do we get her to gain back the weight?

Is this Bunny spayed ? I ask as if not failure to gain weight/unexplained weightloss could be related to Uterine Adenocarcinoma

Increasing the protein intake can help weight gain. So feeding a Pellet designed for breeding and growing Rabbits would be an option. Also adding a small amount of Alfalfa hay. Not too much though as the high calcium levels in Alfalfa can cause issues with bladder sludge.

Any dietary change needs to be made slowly to minimise the risks of GI upsets.

Some people feed a small portion of whole rolled oats to aid weight gain. This increases carbohydrates though and for some Rabbits it can cause gut problems. If fed dry then only a very small amount of oats should be given at any one time as they will swell up once ingested and thus there is the potential of the Rabbit getting bloat.

Barley Rings are popular, but I have never fed them to any of my Rabbits. They are meant to help weight gain.

1) I'll find out from her if the bun is spay

2) it sounds like the safest option is just to use pellet for breeding / growing rabbits

do you have any brand name in preference?

Jane, I have been thinking, perhaps her bun is currently on Oxbow, I wonder if she can keep Oxbow, and just add Supreme Sc. Selective, what do you think

or do you think she should switch out Oxbow slowly and stick to Sc Selective until the bun gain back the wt.?

Jane, I have been thinking, perhaps her bun is currently on Oxbow, I wonder if she can keep Oxbow, and just add Supreme Sc. Selective, what do you think

or do you think she should switch out Oxbow slowly and stick to Sc Selective until the bun gain back the wt.?

I’d slowly switch over to just SS. Or she could always stop at 50/50 and see if Bunny gains weight on that.
I’d not go to OTT on pellets though as Bunny won’t eat enough hay if she does that.

Readigrass has a high protein content. She could feed a small amount of that too. Better for dental attrition than just pellets.

https://wildaboutbunnies.co.uk/products/readigrass

My Raven gets alfalfa. He tolerates it well. I tried mixing his adult pellets with pellets formulated for younger bunnies yet he picked out the adult ones to eat. Pellets meant for young or breeding bunnies are often alfalfa based, so make any change slowly.

Back