• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bun

zarathustra

Warren Scout
It looks like Lola isn't well.

I noticed some patches of shorter fur a few weeks back around the end of June, there were a couple of tiny bits of dandruff/skin flakes but both she and Pip were going through heavy moults at the time so I put it down to that.

I would have got her in for a check up at the time but our vets weren't accepting routines appointments.

I noticed over the weekend that she has some patches of thick flaky skin/scabs and some patches of missing fur.

We've managed to get her in at the vets, but the best they could do was next week.

After reading up it sounds like it might be fur mites, and it looks like my delay in getting treatment has made things worse for her.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It looks like Lola isn't well.

I noticed some patches of shorter fur a few weeks back around the end of June, there were a couple of tiny bits of dandruff/skin flakes but both she and Pip were going through heavy moults at the time so I put it down to that.

I would have got her in for a check up at the time but our vets weren't accepting routines appointments.

I noticed over the weekend that she has some patches of thick flaky skin/scabs and some patches of missing fur.

We've managed to get her in at the vets, but the best they could do was next week.

After reading up it sounds like it might be fur mites, and it looks like my delay in getting treatment has made things worse for her.

Can you email some photos of the effected areas to your Vet ? Then he/she may be prepared to prescribe some treatment straight away. I would still keep the appointment for Lola to be examined next week though as sometimes fur mites can be indicative of another health problem.

Can you email some photos of the effected areas to your Vet ? Then he/she may be prepared to prescribe some treatment straight away. I would still keep the appointment for Lola to be examined next week though as sometimes fur mites can be indicative of another health problem.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that I've just emailed the vets to see whether that is a possibility.

I've been reading up on it, and originally I thought she had other wise been OK I'm now wondering whether there maybe signs of another issue that I hadn't initially picked up on.

I emailed the vets and confirmed I was happy to pay for two consultation fees if it means Lola can get some help with her condition sooner than next week and sent off a photo.

Hopefully they will get back to me soon.

If it is mites, is there a recommended cleaning solution to deal with them in the environment? As I guess we'll need to go to full clean out and disinfection of the run and hutch everyday to give her the best chance of a speedy recovery.

I hope your Vet can see her sooner, or prescribe the medication. She might be a little under the weather maybe with her moulting and if it is Mites they clear up quickly once you have the treatment. Just keeping her environment clean should be all that is needed if it is Mites as Bunnies do carry this mite, it just gets out of control in times of stress or sickness. I hope she gets better soon.

I emailed the vets and confirmed I was happy to pay for two consultation fees if it means Lola can get some help with her condition sooner than next week and sent off a photo.

Hopefully they will get back to me soon.

If it is mites, is there a recommended cleaning solution to deal with them in the environment? As I guess we'll need to go to full clean out and disinfection of the run and hutch everyday to give her the best chance of a speedy recovery.

I use a steam cleaner x

Just had a quick chat with the vets. She said it doesn't sound like mites as Lola is scratching a lot etc, and she thinks the pictures I sent could just be dry skin.

Still have the appointment next week and they'll check her weight and teeth etc and then discuss any medication after that.

Poor Lola, you can tell she is losing weight, and you can feel it on her ribs and spine etc.

But other than that and her flaky skin she has seemed ok, she still goes crazy for biggest galloping around the run and hutch.

She is drinking water, and she is eating hay (although perhaps not as much as normal) and her outputs seem ok though with 2 rabbits it's hard to tell.

I tried calling the vets to get her seen sooner, but all they could offer was to phone first thing tomorrow to try and get an on the day appointment.

I feel really guilty about it

Poor Lola, you can tell she is losing weight, and you can feel it on her ribs and spine etc.

But other than that and her flaky skin she has seemed ok, she still goes crazy for biggest galloping around the run and hutch.

She is drinking water, and she is eating hay (although perhaps not as much as normal) and her outputs seem ok though with 2 rabbits it's hard to tell.

I tried calling the vets to get her seen sooner, but all they could offer was to phone first thing tomorrow to try and get an on the day appointment.

I feel really guilty about it

I would try to get her seen tomorrow then as it sounds as though there is something amiss. It could be dental related as 'Dental Rabbits' can get an outbreak of mites as the may not groom themselves enough and they will be generally 'run down'. Dental problems may account for her apparent weight loss and reduced intake of hay.

I would try to get her seen tomorrow then as it sounds as though there is something amiss. It could be dental related as 'Dental Rabbits' can get an outbreak of mites as the may not groom themselves enough and they will be generally 'run down'. Dental problems may account for her apparent weight loss and reduced intake of hay.

Yes, I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow.

I hope she gets seen soon & the cause is something simple & easily remedied. Teeth does seem likely . Lots of vibes for Lola

She was always the indestructible rabbit, in the 18 months we've had them pip has had to go to the emergency vets twice and Lola just kept on trucking not fussed by anything.

I can't think of anything that might have lead to this, no stress or injuries that I'm aware of.

She is getting on a bit probably 5 or 6 as the RSPCA guessed she was about 4 when we got them.

If it is a dental issue would there have been something that caused it, or can they just come on out of nowhere?

If its dental it might just be her tooth wear has been a little uneven culminating in a spur getting too long. Joey had his first dental for this reason when he was 4, he didn't need another until he was 8

She's booked in for this afternoon, I can't take her so my wife is going, will be giving her a big list of all my observations for the vets as I have much more to do with the bunnies than she does.

She's booked in for this afternoon, I can't take her so my wife is going, will be giving her a big list of all my observations for the vets as I have much more to do with the bunnies than she does.

Well done for getting her an appointment and I hope that all goes well for her x

She's off to the vets, and my wife has a copy of war and peace incase the vets have any questions about behaviour or diet etc.

My wife has just got back from the vets.

She has apparently lost around 200g since she was last weighed back in October/November.

They think she might have mites, so we have some invmectin to apply.

She also has a small wound on her hind quarters, and we have some baytril and inflacam to give her twice a day.

She had some injections at the vets, so we will start her treatment tomorrow as she hasn't had a great day so she need time to settle herself down and stuff.

My wife has just got back from the vets.

She has apparently lost around 200g since she was last weighed back in October/November.

They think she might have mites, so we have some invmectin to apply.

She also has a small wound on her hind quarters, and we have some baytril and inflacam to give her twice a day.

She had some injections at the vets, so we will start her treatment tomorrow as she hasn't had a great day so she need time to settle herself down and stuff.

I hope that the treatment will help. Did the Vet comment on her teeth ?

Back