• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Skin tear on back after bunny fight

Hello all, I am new and hope I am posting in the proper place. Long story, apologies.

I have 2 lops adopted from a local pet rescue. Neutered male almost 2 years old and a young female (not spayed yet) who we got later, now about 6 months old. They were put together in the same pen very quickly after exhibiting some very positive bonding behaviors. They had been living happily together for about 3 months with no issues and the older male would groom her and they would rest next to each other, it was all very lovely and peaceful.

Late one evening about one week ago, we found a good sized chunk of the female's fur lying around, held together by skin/blood at the base. After inspecting, we found a wound on her back. It was completely hidden under the fur, but sizeable. My guess is the male pulled or held onto her fur and she pulled away, tearing her skin. The wound did not look like bite marks, punctures, or a gash. Just like a chunk of skin/fur pulled out. It was a gross open wound but not actively bleeding and no blood on the cage or floor.

We separated the rabbits immediately. I gave her a pet-safe heating pad and bundled her in a blanket in case of shock (she did seem droopy) and watched her closely for hours. She ate, drank, and pooped. Seemed back to her normal self the same night.

I trimmed her fur around the area and rinsed clean with saline solution. Have been spraying a pet-safe antimicrobial wound spray on the area 2x/day for a week. It started scabbing up very quickly, but in a hard lumpy way (I'm guessing just due to the nature of the torn skin, kind of like jagged edges/misshapen scab).

Everything seemed to be moving in a positive direction but then she discovered she could reach the wound on her back and has now been trying to groom it. She has reopened the wound slightly and caused some small amount of bleeding occasionally. I continue to trim the fur, clean it with saline if there's any fur or hay in the wound area, and I just tried applying some Neosporin (original) for the first time. I am keeping a look out for pus/infection in which case we will need to get her some antibiotics.

My guess is now that the female is getting older and maturing, their initial "bond" has broken and they can not be housed together safely. I will eventually get her spayed after she heals up and hopefully try bonding them again. But of course I am also scared of further injury and got the two bunnies as hopeful companions for each other, not to house separately forever.

Anyway, that's the story... I guess I would like to hear some advice or support about the situation, if you have any. I am feeling heartbroken that they had a fight after being such good friends and hope they can be friends again one day. If anybody has dealt with a similar injury I would like to know how it was handled and the outcome. What signs of infection or abscess should I watch out for?

(I do have photos, but I am reluctant to post them because they are disgusting. Please keep in mind this occurred in the night with no vet available, and since she has been acting normally, we decided to take a wait and see/treat at home approach. We cannot afford expensive medical interventions and are doing the best we can to give these rescued bunnies a good home.)

Thank you .

You need to take the poor girl to a Vet. If you cannot afford it then you need to seek help from the RSPCA/PDSA if you are in the UK. If you live elsewhere you need to try to find a charitable organisation to help. Your Doe will need anti-inflammatory pain relief which can only be obtained from a vet.. The wound needs to be properly assessed by a vet to make sure there is no bacterial infection. Systemic antibiotics might be needed. Some over the counter first aid products can make injuries worse. If there is ongoing inflammation the wound will irritate her and she will lick and chew it. This will further delay healing and risk serious bacterial infection setting in, including septicaemia.

You won’t be able to attempt to rebond the pair until 6-8 weeks AFTER your Doe is spayed.

I agree with advice to seek vet treatment. Bunnies hide their pain, and the wound you describe with missing skin and bleeding sounds substantial.
Sending positive vibes you can get treatment for your poor girl.

Yep, vet treatment is needed to make sure she is OK and there's no infection. We can't always tell with the naked eye. Post-spay you can try re-bonding once her hormones have settled but you need to be prepared that they may not take to each other.

Thank you to those who took the time to reply to this post. The vet said the wound is healing nicely, no sign of infection or abscess. I got her antibiotics and pain meds to be safe. Bunny figured out how to take off the baby onesie I was using to protect the wound, so I got her a soft collar/cone thing on Amazon to stop her from getting at the wound on her back. She's doing well. Once this heals up, I will get her spayed and attempt to rebond the pair after she heals.

Attachments

• PXL_20240325_134318638.jpg
    PXL_20240325_134318638.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 5
Back