• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Madelyn is gone7/24/20

Maybe. Is all OK with her waterworks ? Could bladder discomfort (bladder sludge/stones and/or a UTI ) be a possibility ?

Possibly. Although vet checked her bladder I wonder if she had uti or stone. Vet did not feel one and bladder was small yet they can be quite sharp. My bridge bunnyAmigo had a jack stone that had spikes protruding on all sides.
I scheduled her dental for tomorrow and I requested x rays to check arthritis and tooth roots/tooth abscess . I will ask about bloods too , though I also want her under ga as short a time as possible. given her history.
She is weeing on herself but not dribbling.
She is eating greens and fine hay, yet no pellets or fibafirst.

It is scary, yet she is not comfortable, and as you said better now than later. That is even more true when my vet is highly skilled and observant and williing to do it during his lunch time tomorrow.
COVID reopening rules in NY limit number of staff and people in workplaces to allow social distancing, plus additional sanitizing so only able to take fewer cases. I am fortunate she will get her dental and tests.

Last edited:
Possibly. Although vet checked her bladder I wonder if she had uti or stone. Vet did not feel one and bladder was small yet they can be quite sharp. My bridge bunnyAmigo had a jack stone that had spikes protruding on all sides.
I scheduled her dental for tomorrow and I requested x rays to check arthritis and tooth roots/tooth abscess . I will ask about bloods too , though I also want her under ga as short a time as possible. given her history.
She is weeing on herself but not dribbling.
She is eating greens and fine hay, yet no pellets or fibafirst.

It is scary, yet she is not comfortable, and as you said better now than later. That is even more true when my vet is highly skilled and observant and williing to do it during his lunch time tomorrow.

Do they do EC testing over there ?

http://www.greendale.co.uk/cuniculi_disease.html

No ec testing offered. Vet said many bunnies test positive or already getting over ec before symptoms appear, more specific testing takes more time for results and is expensive . In past vet would not do panacur for cover because it can have side effects such as surpress immune response.

Vet did her dental this afternoon and also took some X-rays of her head and body.
He found an ulcer on her cheek very far back in her mouth. None of the points she had on her teeth were in that location so it is a mystery why she got this. It was close to 1/4 inch and already healing. She has been on antibiotics for several days already as cover so that will help too.
Vet also noticed she has an unusual wear pattern on her molars, where she is wearing a valley in the center of her molars and is likely due to how she chews her food. This had her having some points in odd locations from what would usually be seen in a rabbit. He said it was a wear pattern he sees in canines. She was eating her hay well until a sudden change last week, so not sure why she has teeth issues.
Her X rays of her skull showed NO tooth root elongation and the X ray of her body showed only a tiny amount of calcification near her spay stub (I forgot what he called it).
When she arrived at the vet, she had very slow gut sounds. This was in spite of her receiving Cisapride three hours before her procedure. However, she was only nibbling a tiny bit of greens other than the syringe feeds I gave her in the middle of the night. She got lots of hydration before her procedure and vet said she would get minimal drugs. Vet tech told me she peed, pooed and ate a greens before she was discharged.
We arrived home less than an hour ago so I will allow her to settle a little while before I give her syringe feeds and other motility drug.
With the minimal drugs and extra fluids I am hoping she will recover quicker than she did in January when she had her first dental.

Madelyn thanks her friends at RU for their support and for helping her mommy stay sane (I know some may argue that last part).

I don't think you can stay sane whilst owning rabbits to be honest! Sending vibes for her recovery, fingers crossed more pooping and peeing xx

She seemed bright for several hours and was nibbling and making very tiny poo. She got meds when due and even took syringe feed in evening. For reasons I not know she then went back to no poo and discomfort. This time she feels full,not empty. Vet off till Monday and I am so worried and not sure what to do next.:cry:

Edit 12:30PM
I just gave her some syringe feed after she passed a very few small poos. She feels weak though after resisting I got her to swallow some.
During this feeding I noticed her lips, tongues, ears, and other areas are pale. I am very worried I will lose my girl.

If she had a mouth ulcer could she also have an ulcer in her stomach or down her throat that may be bleeding?

Could she have developed pneumonia due to her not moving around a lot, bacteria, or perhaps even from aspirating (hard for bunnies) some syringe feed?

She was fine after vets and looked bright. At vets and home she began eating greens and making small poos on a regular basis. Hours later when she only ate a few greens I gave her syringe feed. She had all her meds.

Last edited:
She seemed bright for several hours and was nibbling and making very tiny poo. She got meds when due and even took syringe feed in evening. For reasons I not know she then went back to no poo and discomfort. This time she feels full,not empty. Vet off till Monday and I am so worried and not sure what to do next.:cry:

Edit 12:30PM
I just gave her some syringe feed after she passed a very few small poos. She feels weak though after resisting I got her to swallow some.
During this feeding I noticed her lips, tongues, ears, and other areas are pale. I am very worried I will lose my girl.

If she had a mouth ulcer could she also have an ulcer in her stomach or down her throat that may be bleeding?

Could she have developed pneumonia due to her not moving around a lot, bacteria, or perhaps even from aspirating (hard for bunnies) some syringe feed?

She was fine after vets and looked bright. At vets and home she began eating greens and making small poos on a regular basis. Hours later when she only ate a few greens I gave her syringe feed. She had all her meds.

Sorry I missed this :cry: just replied to your PM

Millions more vibes being sent xx

Everyone here is sending millions of vibes for Madelyn. She will be in our thoughts all weekend and hope that she starts to feel more comfortable. xx

Thank you JJ for prompt reply to pm. I regret that I gave more medicam thinking she was in pain when she may be having kidney issues causing her to feel awful.
She was still hydrated from fluids 12 hours ago,yet just gave more since she on different drugs too.
I am so tired yet worried so not able to nap.
Thanks to all my ru friends for support.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to read that Madelyn is so poorly [emoji17] It's a horrible situation to be in but you are doing absolutely everything you can. I really hope she can turn the corner soon xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

A different rabbit vet had cancellation 5pm. We got bloods that showed severe anemia. RBC only 4%Vet surprised she was upright. She there until 7pm and drove half hour home. After I settled in I hugged her and in less than 10 minutes she died in my arms. I am gutted. She was nice and pink yesterday after her dental and by noon today she was very pale. She was the best bunny I ever had and I am heartbroken.

A different rabbit vet had cancellation 5pm. We got bloods that showed severe anemia. RBC only 4%Vet surprised she was upright. She there until 7pm and drove half hour home. After I settled in I hugged her and in less than 10 minutes she died in my arms. I am gutted. She was nice and pink yesterday after her dental and by noon today she was very pale. She was the best bunny I ever had and I am heartbroken.
I am so sorry :'( sending you a million hugs :'( xxx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back